Understanding Micro ON/OFF module wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understanding Micro ON/OFF module wiring

I purchased a INSTEON 2443-222 Micro On/Off Module, and now I am not sure if it can be used in my application.

In the switch box, I have only hot wires--the incoming line and the outgoing hot controlled by the switch. So I know that I can't use the micro module there without a neutral.

In the fixture box, I have the incoming (switched) hot wire from the switch, and a neutral.

The module obviously needs power at all times, but I am seeing now that I can't get that power in this scenario. The wiring diagram shows the module tying in to the hot line separately, before the switch.

Is it common to have another hot wire in a switched fixture box besides the switched one? I don't see this arrangement in any of my fixures.

Perhaps I am being dense or missing something.

By the way, I would simply use a two wire INSTEON switch for this application, but I don't think they make them in toggle syle, and I don't much like the look of the available 2 wire switches.

Any thoughts?

Disregarding any ground wires, it is not possible to have only two wires in the switch box and only two wires at the fixture. One or the other must have four wires or there is another junction box somewhere. That junction box can be separate of part of another switch or fixture box.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
    X