Light flashing on and off when switched in the off position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light flashing on and off when switched in the off position

Hi all, I'm a newbie to forum, and would like some help with a dimming micro switch. I have 3 switches that I have connected up as per diagram, 1 is working absolutely fine, the other is flashing the light on and off, the third not giving any power out, I have searched for youtube videos to no avail and even photos you can't get anymore on insteon site. I am based in the uk and have a neutral wire. There's three wires coming in, neutral, live and earth. Anyone have any layman (although I'm pretty good at electrics) answers, photos? Thanx in advance Tony2sugars

If the original switch box has only two wire plus earth, then those two wires are not neutral and live. Did both wires (those that you refer to as neutral and live) connect to the original switch? If so, then those two wires are live and switch return.

An INSTEON switch require three wires in addition to earth. Describe the wires in each switch box including the colors. You can disregard any earth wires (bare, green, or yellow/green). In the UK, neutral is usually blue or black.

If you house was built prior to 2004, then blue may be a phase and neutral is black.
    Last edited by stusviews; 08-21-2014, 03:58 PM.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I think I understand what you mean stuviews, there are 3 wires black, red and earth. It looks like probably it's live and switch return! They (who ever installed said electric) should of used the required 2 x red cable or marked the black wire with a red band? If this is so, is there a way of getting around the problem? I have a socket nearby, would I be able to take a neutral of that? Thanx in advance Tony2sugars

Comment

Hmm, black and red seems to be pre-2004. Fortunately, electrons travel on the wire and don't care about the color. If the rules in the UK are similar to those in the Americas, then yes, there should have been a red band on the black wire.

You can use the nearby neutral if and only if it is on the same phase as the original switch, otherwise not. The other (preferred) solution is to change the connections at the fixture to provide line and neutral at the switch, install a SwitchLinc and cap the red load wire, and install an In-LineLinc or Micro Module in the fixture box.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Ok the first part, totally understand, the second part, confusing... "Must be on the same phase"- does that mean on the same lighting circuit? 2nd part."inlinelinc and switchlinc not a clue! Thanx for being very helpful and taking time to explain to a newbie.

Comment

Disclaimer: I've never wired in the UK as I have in the Americas, so I'm basing my post on what I've learned and not what I've experienced, so feel free to fill me in and add any and all corrections.

In the UK any residence can have one or two phases as an electric supply. Most houses have two phases and don't have a neutral, only 220v. It depends on when and where the house was built.

Describe your electric supply.

Comment

Only one phase I think in the uk, all houses have neutral as far as I'm aware. Asked an electric guy today and he said I could use the earth as a neutral or take a neutral of the circuit board nearby, the latter is best so will go for that me finks. :0)

Comment

Although using earth as a neutral would work, it is not in accordance with the British Standard BS 7671 "Requirements for electrical installations" and is unsafe as well. If your home were to be damaged by, say, a fire, then your insurance may be in jeopardy. I'd check with someone else!!

Or use the safe, preferred method I posted, above.

Comment

Going with the neutral from the box (circuit board) which is much easier and safer, thanx for all your help though.

Comment

Working...
                  X