Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connectivity and characteristics of 0-10V dimmer

Just bought quite a few of these and have a few questions:
    1) I just noticed on the manual that even in Dimmer mode, one of the relay load outputs is connected to the Electronic Dimmable Ballast. A lot of the dimmers I can find that accepts 0 - 10V as input doesn't have a separate high voltage 120V / 230V AC input to switch on / off. Most only have a 12 - 24V DC for connecting to a PSU instead. So must this relay load output be connected?

2) If the relay load output isn't connected, does the light get switched off (in a way) by dimming to 0% completely?

3) Some of the ballast have a switchable dimming curve between log and linear. Which one should we use for this 0 - 10V dimmer?

4) Must the line and neutral wires be connected to the same line and neutral wires of the controlling keypad? If the keypad and 0 - 10V dimmer are physically separated by some distance or routing a wire between the two is not convenient, can the 0 - 10V dimmer be supplied with its own line and neutral wires directly from the panel off a separate circuit breaker?

Are there a lot of people using this anyway? I've been hesitating on just driving a TRIAC dimmable ballast directly off the dimmer keypad. However I'm not convinced on this yet because I'm also speculative on how stable this method will be. Say for example if I want to dim to 1% I think it's a lot easier and stable with a 0 - 10V dimmer rather than with a TRIAC. Any opinions?

1.The additional relays are for non-dimmable loads. Neither the dimmer nor relays are required to be connected. Use the mode that's appropriate for you situation.
    2. Off is off. Control is via a linked controller device such as a KeypadLinc button, not the ballast. The ballast is only a responder to whatever controls it.
    3.There is no choice for the dimming curve, it is what it is.
    4. Each the controller and the ballast require line and neutral. It doesn't matter which circuit each is on.

An Insteon dimmer uses TRIACs as you've indicated. But the ballast is not, should not be connected to the load wire of the dimmer. Control is accomplished electronically via remote Insteon signals.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
    X