Using insteon switch with motion detector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using insteon switch with motion detector

I want to turn on driveway lights with either a switch or a motion detector. I currently have an older model switch with a sense line that I am using for this purpose. I'd like to replace the old model switch with a newer, dual band model. I cannot use an insteon motion detector due to environmental, range, and field of view limitations. I have programmed my isy 994 to turn lights on and off at specific times. Occasionally the lights fail to turn on or turn off. I suspect that I may have an intermittent noise issue, but I have not been successful in tracking it down. I am gradually migrating to dual band devices so swapping out the older switch makes sense. I know I can use a microswitch. It is not clear that an rf signal would pass through a junction box (currently metal, but could be replaced with plastic). Loosing the rf path would negate my reason for the switch upgrade. I might be able to use the isy to detect a signal from the motion sensor, but I'd like to keep the solution simple. If I were using a conventional switch, I could tie the switch output to the motion detector outuput (wired or). Both devices are on the same circuit. Does anyone know if I can use a wired or with an insteon load line? There are actually 3 separate switches that operate the light. I'm ok if I don't know what that the motion detector has turned the light on. Thanks in advance.

Which specific switch with sense are you currently using? Do you have any motions sensor at all for the light(s)? Are all three of the switches Insteon or are they part of a standard 4-way configuration?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I am currently away from home and cannot look at the physical devices. Based on my order history I am fairly certain that the switch is a 2466DW togglelinc relay which I purchased in 2009, I cannot find the specific manual for this device on line. I am using the sense line on a 2475s2 in-linelinc relay rather than the one on the switch. The sense line on the switch was a surprise. The linelinc is also a 2009 vintage model and is enclosed in a metal junction box. There is one motion sensor (RAB STL110H). This motion sensor controls multiple lights through the linelinc relay. There are three insteon switches that also control the lights - the 2466DW togglelinc, a switchlinc, and a keypad. All devices were purchased in 2009. I can upgrade the switch to a dual band model. I would like to eliminate the linelinc if possible.

Comment

With there being switches directly tied to the light, you can get away with using switches only without the inlineLinc. With that said, should the lights be turned off, there would not be any current to the switch which would allow the motion sensor to turn them on.

Using the insteon micromodule (would replace the inlineLinc) you could still have the motion sensor turn on the lights. Even if the switches were off.

The way I set my floods was to put a module at the fixture that directly controls the light with a separate motion sensor. I then linked the module to my kpls for manual control with different scenes. This allows me to operate my lights independent of the motion sensors as well as with the motion sensors.

Comment

Just to clarify my configuration my motion sensor is on the same circuit controls power to the lights and the motion sensor, but the line going to the motion sensor is not switched.

My goal is to eliminate the linelinc or micro switch by connecting the control line (typically the red wire) from the motion sensor to the load output of the switch. This technique is called a “wired or”. I do not know if applying line voltage to the switch load line while the switch is in the off position caused any problems.

Comment

Insteon switches do not have the sense function built in so the motion sensor would not be able to turn them.on. if using a motion sensor is important, then you will need to use a micromodule to talk to your switches.

Comment

The discontinued 2475S2 In-LineLinc does have a sense wire and can be connected directly to a motion sensor.
              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
              Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                The discontinued 2475S2 In-LineLinc does have a sense wire and can be connected directly to a motion sensor.
                He is already using that module and is trying to move away from it as well as the newer micromodule

Comment

Working...
                X