Bypassing 4-Way Switches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bypassing 4-Way Switches?

I have three switches in the garage that all control the same load, fluorescent lights. One of the switches is a KeypadLinc that I installed long ago, probably incorrectly (it worked, but not reliably), and it has given up the ghost. I have ordered and received a new one, which I'd like to install, correctly this time. Which means I've got to read the Insteon help file on 4-way switches, find which of the three is the master, find the traveller line, etc. etc., ....OR.....can I simply bypass the other two switches, wiring line to load on each, and put a blank plate over that space? I definitely don't need more than one switch for these fluorescents. If so it would make my life a whole lot easier....Is this doable?
    Jim Speiser
    Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

Halloooooooo.....?
    Jim Speiser
    Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

Comment

Best to observe the present wiring.
      Determine which location has the Load output and which has the AC Line in and Neutral.
      Then that will determine if you have to use the travelers. To get all the needed connections in the location you want to use. Than you could use one switch and blank covers in the other locations.
      It maybe possible you have a switch loop. Where the Line is in the fixture and there is a two wire cable from it to the switches. In that case you may find a white wire with a black mark on it. Indicating it is a Line not a Neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
        Best to observe the present wiring.
        Determine which location has the Load output and which has the AC Line in and Neutral.
        Then that will determine if you have to use the travelers. To get all the needed connections in the location you want to use. Than you could use one switch and blank covers in the other locations.
        It maybe possible you have a switch loop. Where the Line is in the fixture and there is a two wire cable from it to the switches. In that case you may find a white wire with a black mark on it. Indicating it is a Line not a Neutral.
        So you're saying it's POSSIBLE.....

(Quoted from "Dumb and Dumber"....)

OK, thanks, I think I know just enough about electricity to follow that.

Happy New Year!
        Jim Speiser
        Payson, Arizona

Comment

I replaced a 4-way switch configuration in my home with Insteon on/off dimmer switches. I read through the detailed instructions Insteon had for three and four way switches and found it easy enough to comprehend. I have basic knowledge of electrical circuits, a non-contact tester and volt meter. Once I disconnected all the wires (after documenting what terminals that had been attached to), I located the switch box that had the incoming hot wire. The hard part was over. Using some intuition, I had a 50/50 chance to identify which was the next switch box in the circuit path. Wasn’t hard at all to have all three switches working and linking it to a mini remote and also having the led’s on all three switches work in unison.

Comment

Originally posted by WorldTraveler75 View Post
            I replaced a 4-way switch configuration in my home with Insteon on/off dimmer switches. I read through the detailed instructions Insteon had for three and four way switches and found it easy enough to comprehend. I have basic knowledge of electrical circuits, a non-contact tester and volt meter. Once I disconnected all the wires (after documenting what terminals that had been attached to), I located the switch box that had the incoming hot wire. The hard part was over. Using some intuition, I had a 50/50 chance to identify which was the next switch box in the circuit path. Wasn’t hard at all to have all three switches working and linking it to a mini remote and also having the led’s on all three switches work in unison.
            Good, maybe you can send some IQ points my way, cuz I'm totally flummoxed. I could swear I found where the hot came in, and hooked everything up according to Hoyle, but I don't have control. The new switch lights up OK, but it doesn't switch on or off. There is one switch that does....but when it is off, the other two are off as well - like, no power. Is it possible that this is not a true three-way, but a master-slave situation?
            Jim Speiser
            Payson, Arizona

Comment

If the line is in the fixture and you meter maybe reading through the light itself or the line is in one of the other switches in the group.
              You may want to see if the wire you tested as line. Still read when the load is temporarily disconnected at the fixture.
              Mechanical switches do not have a master slave setup. Like some of the other protocols like X10 or the X10 compatible Smarthome switches had.
              Did you remove the other switches or bypass them as it sounds like the other ones are still functioning and you did not splice around them
              Last edited by BLH; 01-22-2022, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
                If the line is in the fixture and you meter maybe reading through the light itself or the line is in one of the other switches in the group.
                You may want to see if the wire you tested as line. Still read when the load is temporarily disconnected at the fixture.
                Mechanical switches do not have a master slave setup. Like some of the other protocols like X10 or the X10 compatible Smarthome switches had.
                Did you remove the other switches or bypass them as it sounds like the other ones are still functioning and you did not splice around them
                I am in the process of bypassing one of the switches, it's really redundant anyway. I think the one I thought was a secondary is actually the primary, so I'm going to rewire that one. But I understand that in a 3 way, both switches need to be Insteon or it just won't work. So I need to replace one with an Insteon. Sorta thinking out loud here, bear with me....
                Jim Speiser
                Payson, Arizona

Comment

Both are supposed to be Insteon in a 3 way.
                  With one connected to the Line, Neutral and Load.
                  The other one is connected to the Line and Neutral with the Red Load wire capped off.
                  Then cross linked to each other to control each other.

Comment

My Insteon hub 2245-222 shows an error message - Connection to hub has been lost. Please resolve.. Green light lit. Any suggestions ?
                    Thanks

Comment

If you have a specific reason for wanting to bypass a 4-way switch, it's important to consult with an electrician who can assess your wiring and provide guidance on how to achieve your desired outcome safely and in compliance with electrical codes.
                      Last edited by INSTEON John; 11-07-2023, 04:46 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Originally posted by superedan68 View Post
                        If you have a specific reason for wanting to bypass a 4-way switch, it's important to consult with an electrician who can assess your wiring and provide guidance on how to achieve your desired outcome safely and in compliance with electrical codes.
                        Thank you for the advice. It's already done. And somehow I managed to survive.
                        Last edited by INSTEON John; 11-07-2023, 04:46 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam
                        Jim Speiser
                        Payson, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                        X