2477S buzzing when handling other device's Insteon commands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2477S buzzing when handling other device's Insteon commands

I have many (~3 dozen?) Insteon devices installed in my home, since very early days (~10 years ago), a mix of dimmers and on/offs, in-wall and plugin.

I recently purchased ten new 2477S switches directly from Smarthome to install more in-wall switches. I noticed that they are Rev 8.2 5128.

Unfortunately, after installing two of them, I noticed that they make a buzzing sound whenever Insteon commands are being sent to the other devices. This is what it sounds like: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DHV9UEaHVdXNLjcG6. These are installed near our bedroom and in the quiet of the night they are annoyingly loud.

At first I thought maybe I got a bad unit, and so swapped in a new one, four times (four different new 2477S's), and each of them makes the same buzzing sound.

I also tried disconnecting the load, and the buzzing still happens. None of my other 2477S's make this sound. I noticed at least one of those older switches is Rev 8.0.

Any ideas? Does anyone else hear this kind of buzzing? It's totally not acceptable for me, and certainly not in our bedrooms! Did something change from 8.0 to 8.2 that might cause this? Or is it possible my entire order of ten 2477S's have some same flaw, and if I returned and got replacements, the replacements might not have this issue? Are the newest 2477S's still at Rev 8.2 5128?

In case it matters: I wanted to order these 2477S's but they were out of stock for quite a while during COVID. Then I saw they finally were in-stock again at Smarthome and ordered these ten.

mikemccand I am experiencing the same thing. My first one, purchased around the time of your post, was installed in a storage room with buzzing fluorescent lighting, so I never noticed it. A few months ago I purchased another to replace a SwitchLinc V2 to gain the benefits of dual-band. In this location it is quiet, and the buzzing is very noticeable. I hear exactly what you have recorded as well.

I ordered another one a week ago thinking I would RMA the first due to this noise, but the new one makes the same noise. That's when I hit the web to see if anyone else has had this.

I'm surprised you did not get more replies on this issue. And I'm surprised this problem has been around so long. I have many other types of Insteon devices and none of them do this.

I ordered an i3 paddle along with my latest 2477S purchase. The i3 is silent. I will be returning my latest 2477S purchase and ask if I can exchange the one from a few months ago with another i3 paddle.

Comment

Working...
    X