Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2477S - Dead/partially dead internal relay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2477S - Dead/partially dead internal relay?

I've been running my Insteon setup almost totally fine since install in early 2016. 2245-222 Hub (replaced in 2018 due to failure), iOS app, and ~30 devices, mostly switches & dimmers.

But this week, I've noticed a new issue -
    My garage light switch is a 2477S, controlled by both a motion sensor and (2) IOLincs on my garage doors. This particular switch gets fairly heavy use, as in tens of actuations every day as the garage is our primary entrance. The switch circuit has (5) 13W LED bulbs on it, which is well below the switch's wattage capacity.

The lights are no longer controlled by the switch, and they're currently stuck 'On'. The LED's on the switch respond as normal to either activation of the switch, or via any controller, including the app. The internal mechanism of the switch clicks like normal, but nothing happens.

I am assuming this is a relay internal to the switch that has gone bad? Any other internal troubleshooting steps I should take before I simply replace it? (of course, it fails right after all the holiday sales for home smart gear are over... grumble)

Other than the hub failure, which is well documented and covered by an extended warranty from Insteon, this is my first failure of switch hardware. Makes me a bit nervous, as about 60% of my gear is the same age, and the other 50% is only about a year newer. I'm hoping a lifespan of <4 years is not normal, or I'm going to be replacing a lot of switches/dimmers...

Anyone have input on whether Insteon support might provide courtesy warranty or a significant discount in lieu of a warranty replacement?
    I'm also guessing that this forum doesn't condone telling stories about how to take switches apart and fixed them at home (licensed electrician, UL rating, not safe, blah de blah)...

Whelp, I may have spoken too soon.

Removed device from all associated scenes, and attempted to delete the device from my iOS app. It failed to remove 3x, so I performed a force remove. I then performed a factory reset at the switch, and it initially appears that fixed the problem.

I've since added the switch back into the (3) scenes controlling it, and it seems to be functioning back to normal. *shrug* just a glitch I guess. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Comment

Working...
    X