Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Way Switch - struggling to get cross linking right

Hi Guys

I have a 3 way switch setup in my bedroom. Keypad dimmer (which controls load for main light), and a dimmer switch at the entrance to the bedroom. I want them to be cross linked, i think im following the instructions and videos but im not getting the result. I had them all linked a while ago, but i've reset the entire house and starting my setup from scratch, i cant remember how i got working

I turn the keypad dimmer (A) main load on

I hold the set button on (A) until i hear a beep, led flashes green.

I turn the secondary dimmer (B) on, hold the set button, I hear the long beep from (A)

(A) led is still flashing green, i press the main button to get out of linking mode

(A) now controls (B) fine

I cant get (B) to control (A), I follow the same steps

Turn both dimmers (A & B) to on

I hold set button on (B)

I hold set button on (A), i hear a long beep from (B)

I go to (B) and press the dimmer to get out of link mode

(B) wont control (A)

Am i missing something?

You should not need to end the linking mode at all unless you placed the device into multi-linking mode.

1. Optionally set the ramp rate and/or On-level for each device first.
    2. Place the first device into linking mode by tapping the button or paddle so that it's on and holding the set button until blinking starts (about 3 sec).
    3. Place the second device into linking mode by tapping the button or paddle so that it's on and holding the set button until the blinking on the first device stops.
    4. Test that the link works.
    5. Repeat steps 2-4 reversing which device is first and which is second.

Edit: I neglected to mention the most common 3-way configuration error, wiring. In any 3-way configuration, red is not the load, black may not be line and a least one white wire is not a neutral. If the instructions above don't work, then describe the wiring in each switch box including the colors and how they are bundled.

For example, box A has one 3-wire cable (red, black, white) and two 2-wire cables (black, white).

Also, which wire was originally connected to the black screw and which were connected to the brass screws on each switch.

Do you have a voltmeter? It must be a meter, a voltage indicator is inadequate. Even the least costly meter will suffice.

Edit: Step 3 corrected.
    Last edited by stusviews; 05-21-2017, 05:45 AM.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

i havent messed with electrics, i had them linked 18 months ago. All ive done is reset them ...

Comment

on my way out, havent tried anything yet, but you mention that the switch shouldnt be in link mode anymore after it's linked. When i link, and i hear a long single beep from the other switch. is that a bad sign?

Comment

and yeah i have a multi meter

Comment

If you had them working correctly at one time, then the wiring is likely correct. Depending on the reset method, you may have unlinked one or both devices. Try linking again, follow the steps I provided, especially ensuring that the device is on before linking. There's no need to unlink or reset the devices first.

If the first device goes out of linking mode after automatically within a few seconds after linking the second device is placed into linking mode, then that indicates that the prodedure (linking) was performed correctly.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
              You should not need to end the linking mode at all unless you placed the device into multi-linking mode.
              1. Optionally set the ramp rate and/or On-level for each device first.
              2. Place the first device into linking mode by tapping the button or paddle so that it's on and holding the set button until blinking starts (about 3 sec).
              3. Place the first device into linking mode by tapping the button or paddle so that it's on and holding the set button until the blinking on the first device stops.
              4. Test that the link works.
              5. Repeat steps 2-4 reversing which device is first and which is second.
              I assume you mean place second device into linking mode in step 3?

Comment

dont get it, tried this over and over. I remember having similar issues when i originally did it, just cant remember how i got it right. I had a 3 way setup in my bedroom and another for my staircase, neither work according to these instructions or ones ive found online. I hold the set button on (A), then go and hold set button on (B), (A) lets out a long beep. (A) green led still flashing like it's in linking mode.

Comment

You are correct. Step 3 should refer to the second device (now corrected). Also, the first device should stop blinking when you place the second device into linking mode.

Double-tap the SwitchLinc On (top) a few times. Does the load turn On and Off? Double tap the KPL button a few times? Does the load turn On and Off? If yes to both, then post back. If not, then read on.

Try this (do not use the set button): Turn off the KPL button. Hold the top (On) of the SwitchLinc paddle until the LED on the SwitchLinc LED starts blinking, about 6-10 sec. Hold the desired KPL button until the SwitchLinc stops blinking. Does the button control the SwichLinc? (The load may or may not turn depending which device is connected to the load.).

If so, turn off the KPL button. Press and hold that button until it starts blinking (about 6-10 sec). Press and hold the top (On) paddle of the SwitchLinc until the KPL button stops blinking. The link should now work in both directions.

Comment

I haven't tried your suggestion yet, I tried over and over using the original method a few times on the weekend, it still wouldnt work. I then tried doing different things, after "step 3 above" ie. after holdign down the set button, i tried things like holding down the set button again, maybe more than once. I then mixed it up by the same on the other switch, to the point where i dont remember what i did last but they are both linked now ... could i have possibly done something else other than a cross link which behaves like a crosslink? like created a scene or something ?

Comment

Cross-links are scenes. If fact, a scene is anytime one or more Insteon devices controls or responds to one or more any other Insteon devices.

Comment

If you are using an Insteon Hub (gen 1 or two—not Pro), I'd use the Insteon for Hub app to perform the linking. Make sure both Insteon devices are added in the app. You'd create a scene where both the keypad Button and the switch are both controllers and receivers. You can even specify the ramp rate and dim level for the load in the scene. Once you have that all defined, the app does all the work of setting up the cross-links. Depending on how recent your Insteon devices are, you might not even have to touch the devices themselves to complete the pairing.

if all else fails, you may need to factory reset both devices and recreate the desired links from scratch. If you go that route, I'd strongly recommend that you use the app to set it all up. Even if you don't intend to use the app to control or automate anything, it just makes setup much simpler.

Comment

sounds like a good idea but no, no working hub had a normal hub till it just wouldn't turn on one day ... got a hub 'pro' that seems like a step backwards...

FYI, if you're an international customer, they want you to pay shipping to return the faulty unit and the shipping for the replacement unit ...

Comment

The Hub Pro is not an advanced hub as the name implies. The "Pro" is Apple Homekit compatible, the other hub is not.

Comment

Working...
                            X