2 wire dimmer stuck in on position, no led

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 wire dimmer stuck in on position, no led

I have a 2 wire dimmer controlling 2 incandescent light fixtures. It has been fine for a month, but during dinner tonight one light flickered briefly then stayed on. Later, I noticed I cannot turn the switch off and the led is not illuminated. Pushing the set button does nothing, and a factory reset doesn't work. If I pull the set button out, the light goes out but as soon as I release it the light stays on.

Remove all the bulb. Reset the 2-wire dimmer. Screw in one and only one incandescent bulb. What's the result?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I'll try it in the morning...I'll have to turn off the breaker to remove the bulbs since they're pretty hot.

Comment

Pull out the set button. CU 2 morrow
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

So I removed both bulbs then put 1 bulb back in. The single bulb is on and still can't be turned off and the switch has no led illuminated. Factory reset still does nothing. So nothing changed.

Comment

From your tests and results.
            It has failed.
            If it is still within the two year warranty. I would call Insteon Customer Support and see how to get it replaced.

Comment

So my problem turned out to be non-insteon related. There was a short in one of the fixtures that was not enough to trip the circuit breaker, but enough to keep the switch from operating properly. Once I removed the broken fixture completely everything worked. To play it safe I have replaced both fixtures with a different model entirely.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your findings.
                That problem is definitely a unique one. I will have to try and remember that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by byoung2 View Post
                  So my problem turned out to be non-insteon related. There was a short in one of the fixtures that was not enough to trip the circuit breaker, but enough to keep the switch from operating properly. Once I removed the broken fixture completely everything worked. To play it safe I have replaced both fixtures with a different model entirely.
                  For the benefit of the forum members could you offer a little more insight to what was seen in the fixture? Was there two wires exposed and allowed to touch one another causing the electrical short? Ground wire touching the load / neutral wire?
                  Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

After thinking about your symptoms.

It sounds like the two wires to the switch where shorted together. That would keep the light On.

Since there was no current through the switch loop from the fixture to power the switch. The switch had no power and the LEDs and all functions where dead
                    Unless the wiring was also shorted to a ground or neutral power wire. There would be no overload to trip the breaker. The light would be stuck On and the switch got no power.

Comment

Working...
                    X