Switch unusable until circuit breaker reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch unusable until circuit breaker reset

I am having an intermittent issue with a 2466SW switch about once ever 4-6 weeks I lose connectivity to the switch. What I mean is that the switch fails to operate the light and I can not use my App to control the light either. All other Insteon switches work just fine at this time and is just isolated to this one device. The power indicator on the switch does not light up nor can I hear the clicking when flipping the switch. Its almost like there is no power to the device.

To resolve the issue, I have to flip the breaker off and back on, to get the switch to work again just as before. This resolves the issue until it happens again, but I would like to fix the real problem as I don't want my kids or wife resetting breakers when I am not around to fix.

I have tried the following to trouble shoot:

- Replaced the switch
    - Replaced the breaker
    - a hard reset of the switch itself

After all of these fixes, the issue is still occurring.

The switch controls an outside light, and the only things on this circuit are approximately 5 other lights and a bathroom fan. There are no TVs or microwaves on this circuit that could cause interference. The circuit breaker is a normal circuit breaker, not one of the arc fault breakers.

Any insight into what may be causing this problem as it is very intermittent.

What type of load does the switch control, LED, CFL, incandescent, other?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

The light switch controls 3 incandescents which are all outside, with the switch inside. (1) 65 Watt, and (2) 75 watt. It's weird that I have to reset the switch by flipping the breaker.

Comment

You should not have to reset the switch at all. Is it still under warranty?

BTW, you can reset the switch by pulling out the set button until it clicks in place. Wait 10 sec, then gently push the set button in until it's flush with the front. Do not push the button all the way in. Easier to do than describe
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I originally replaced the switch... and even after installing a new switch the issue continued. So I have since also replaced the circuit breaker. This eliminates the switch and the circuit breaker as the culprit. Now I am looking for something else to troubleshoot.

Comment

You may have a noise source. Strong enough to occasionally confuse the controller chip in the device. Locking it up until you do a power cycle reset.
            The users manual for the module. May mention this in its troubleshooting pages.

Comment

Is there anyway to prevent this or determine what is causing this?

Comment

I would ask you to confirm when you turn off the breaker it absolutely turns off *only* these loads. Please confirm again and report back the frequency of these lock ups.
                Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Turn off the breaker. Make note of everything that loses power. Post that list.

Comment

Here is everything that is connected to the same circuit.

(1) 65 W outside light and (2) 75 Watt outside lights
                    (1) 60 W light - Inside entry light
                    (1) Bathroom light w/ 3 halogens
                    (1) Bathroom fan
                    (1) mudroom light - 60 watt
                    (1) Laundry light (2) 60 Watt
                    (3) inside garage lights 2 100Watts & 1 LED
                    (1) master bathroom fan
                    (1) master bathroom light (2) 60 watt
                    (2) 110 outlets - I noticed that my access point #2443 is plugged into that outlet

Comment

The only items from your list than can cause a difficulty are the fans and any light that is not incandescent. Try removing or disconnecting those items temporarily (if the fans are on a switch, then leave the switch off; if they're automatic, then they must be disconnected). Unless you have something plugged into the outlets other than the Access Point.

Comment

I have this problem too. In my case I reset the switch by pulling out the set button, waiting, then pushing the button back in. I am currently driving 6- 20W equivalent candelabra LEDs. This should be a vary light load. The switch is able to dim the LEDs well when its working. No motors or fans are on the same circuit. We do have compact fluorescents on the circuit which are controlled by non dimming Insteon switches. Those switches on this same circuit have no issues. Meanwhile we have another non-dimming switch on another circuit that also looses its mind and needs to be reset though not as often. Again it has no motors on its circuit. And again it has a sister switch that has never caused a problem.

Comment

Both LED and CFL bulbs can cause difficulties (not all do). Does the problem persist if the bulbs are temporarily removed and/or replaced with incandescent bulbs?

Comment

I have the same problem - the common denominator is the bathroom fan. They are in the same box and share a hot wire. Maybe the fan is causing the problem. Are there any noise filters that could separate the fan switch (not a smart switch) and the Insteon switch (mine is a dimmer).

Comment

Is the switch the same 2466SW ToggleLinc model as in the original post or one of the other models? That model is a older designed. Power line only model. That needs a good Insteon power line signal to operate reliably.

I have seen some X10Pro XPNR noise reducers mentioned by some but don't have any direct information on it helping in most cases.

Simply Automation makes a 10 Amp filter. ZFN10A wired in or ZFN10A-P Plug in. Both are for their UPB systems but filter anything above 40KHz. So they also remove noise around the Insteon 131.65 KHz. The wired in is not small.

If the fan is not On it should not effect the system. If it has electronics in the controls then maybe it can. My new portable Air conditioner when plug in. Kills one of my 2456S3 ApplinaceLincs responses. As it is a power line only one.
                              Last edited by BLH; 08-11-2019, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X