Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to wire SwitchLink 2477 with 240v split phase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to wire SwitchLink 2477 with 240v split phase?

Can I use a SwitchLink 2477 to dim a 240 split phase load?

​If so the only question then is, does the Neutral on the SwitchLink go to neutral or the other load (please see picture)? My inclination is neutral but I don't know if that will case the SwitchLink to think is on a 120 circuit.

​Note this would be with one of the newer multi-voltage SwitchLinks.

​Thanks for any insight or suggestions.

​Kevin
    Last edited by KSaccullo; 09-07-2015, 05:24 PM.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Most Insteon devices are designed to work with 110/124Volt, 60Hz (North America) or 240/277Volt, 50Hz (Europe) equipment. What do you want to control? Where are you located? There are different Insteon devices that are meant to work with 220/240Volt, 60 Hz equipment in NA, such as water heaters, stoves, HVAC, etc.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Located in north America. 60 hz. 240 / 120 split phase feeding the house.
        I have some 240 volt LED rope lights, ~ 50 meters, I want to control.

​My other option is to use a three way switch to have a high and low setting (no comments please about being to code). 240 high, 120 low. I like the low for the soft glow but need the high to see what I'm doing. It is for a make shift man cave.
        Last edited by KSaccullo; 09-10-2015, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Which specific rope lights?
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

The rope lights are some no name ones from China. An engineer at work purchased a role for me on a recent trip. 120 leds per meter, 3014 led type leds.

They may not draw enough current to even work with a 2477D. At 120 volts,18 meters of lights registered ZERO watts using a cheep kill-a-watt meter. Thought that was cool. I don't think its true but it seemed petty cool.

I was looking into making a reverse phase dimmer and driving it from the 2477. But won't get into something like that until the first of the year.

Comment

"120 leds per meter, 3014 led type leds" Wow, that's more than 82 feet of rope! Hmm, 18 meters is about 59 feet. Something is amiss.

Reverse phase dimmers are used for electronic low voltage lighting, usually 12VAC or 24VAC. Insteon are line voltage leading edge dimmers. Your rope lights seem to be for 220VAC @ 50 Hz. Because they're LED rope lights, they should function over a range of voltages. What is the result if you connect them 220/240VAC?

Comment

"120 leds per meter, 3014 led type leds" Wow, that's more than 82 feet. But, 18 meters is 59 feet. Something is amiss.

Reverse phase dimmers are usually used for low voltage lighting, 12VAC or 24VAC. They control electronic transformers and are "trailing edge." Insteon dimmers are "leading edge" and control line voltage lighting. What is the result if you connect the rope, which, if meant for use in China, are rated for220VAC @ 50Hz to to 220/240VAC @ 60 Hz. Rope LEDs are usually OK with a range of voltages, but may not accommodate a dimmer due the clipping that occurs when using TRIACs.

Comment

The 18 meters is one cut section from the spool. Original spool length 50 meters. Their is a gap every meter in the rope if you want to cut it. Yes it is one long stand I cut. The el chipeo kill-a-watt meter can't figure out how to see it. I know the reading is incorrect, but for a moment I thought is was cool to have lights (dim but useful) that show no power draw.

At 240 they light up full bright as expected. I should mention their is a bridge rectifier from the AC source to the lights. No capacitor (filter). So if you move the lights they do give the strobe effect.

The reason for thinking about a reverse phase dimmer was because of the low current draw. A MOSFET for driving the leds, not a triac. Triac won't do reverse phase. But now it starts making things more complicated. Something based off of this, http://www.microchip.com/forums/m431052.aspx Just need to figure out how in incorporate the 2477.

Only reason fro wanting to have a 2477 is I have insteon in the rest of the house and It was be easier to integrate the remote control portion into the rest of my house.
                  Last edited by KSaccullo; 09-12-2015, 12:44 PM.

Comment

New direction. The above was getting excessive for just dimming and remote controlling of some leds.

Just going to use a step up transformer.

Wire the 2477 to 120 volts and connect the transformer to it. The leds to the out of the transformer. The 2477 should be ok driving a transformer.

http://www.frys.com/product/2508451#detailed

Comment

Your link is to Fry's only. No product is shown.

Comment

Link was to a 110 to 220 step up transformer. For over seas voltage conversion.

Just bought (eight bucks) it and tried it tonight. Works. Lights are bight.

Shows pulling 28 watts on my el cheep o kiil-a-watt meter. Next is to wire mod the end so I can leave it in a box (2 gang may fit) with the 2477 switch.

Comment

You can refer to the technical article on this blog for reference. https://www.allicdata.com/blog.html

Comment

Working...
                          X