24740 2-wire dimmer - racing indicator lights when on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24740 2-wire dimmer - racing indicator lights when on

I just installed a 24840 2-Wire dimmer for my driveway halogen lights (3 lights, I think they're 5 watts each). When I turn "off" the switch, it does what I expect (from the indicator lights on the switch). When I turn it on, it looks like it's ramping up power over and over and over. The lights are racing up like runway lights, get to the top, and start over. And over. And over.

While I'm not worried about the visual effect (because the switch is in my garage, do these racing "ramp-up" indicate a problem and I should resort to the old physical switch? I've never seen an insteon device do this before.

Thanks for any advice!

Steve

Are they 120VAC incandescent or halogen type bulbs?
    Not a power supply or transformer driven low voltage lights?
    As that switch is only for 120 VAC incandescent or halogen loads and steals power through the connected load.
    Any other type load and unexpected results can happen.

Comment

Thanks BLH.

I think it's that I only have 3 3-watt halogen low-light floods on that circuit (they're for night-time driveway lighting). In the middle of the circuit is a photo cell (that I'm going to take out if I can get an Insteon switch to work there instead).

If this takes too much more work or is not something that an Insteon switch can do, I'll change the driveway lighting and to attach it to a 12V DC line I already have outside that I may tap into for an LED string instead.

Steve

Comment

Working...
      X