Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to program Dimmer Switch and mini-remote for slow fade up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to program Dimmer Switch and mini-remote for slow fade up?

Using an 8-button mini remote and an older 2477 D dimmer switch, how can I program a 20-second fade up (from black)? I've re-read the owners manual for both devices and can't find instructions to do that. Thanks in advance.

Are you using a controller like a HUB or ISY994i? Where you can set the Ramp Rate in a Scene.

The only thing you can do with the information in the manuals. Is set the Local Ramp rate (0-5 seconds 0-8 minutes with software) and Brightness Level. That is how the switch acts when you turn it On and Off with the paddles on the front of the switch.

Just did a test. With a 2477D V6.5 and a 4 Scene Mini Remote.
    You can set the Local ramp rate to 5 seconds and a lower brightness level. Then I linked it to the remote and it did ramp on and off at 5 second rate. So my original thoughts where not 100% correct by reading the manuals.
    Last edited by BLH; 08-12-2020, 07:32 AM.

Comment

I'm using manual (RF) linking between the Dimmer Switch (2477D) and the 8-button mini-remote. No Hub and don't know what ISY994i is.

Comment

I added some information in my previous post.
        You can only set the Local Settings. With the information in the manuals.

In my tests above. You could go to a 5 second ramp rate. Slower ramp rate through my ISY994i

An ISY994i is a Insteon Interface with some features not in a HUB but more costly.
        Last edited by BLH; 08-12-2020, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
          I added some information in my previous post.
          You can only set the Local Settings. With the information in the manuals.

In my tests above. You could go to a 5 second ramp rate. Slower ramp rate through my ISY994i

An ISY994i is a Insteon Interface with some features not in a HUB but more costly.
          The manual for the 2477D Dimmer Switch shows a "Flow Chart" (page 25) that refers to Ramp Rate and indicates it is possible to "Cycle through Four Presets". Is this something that requires a HUB or how can I access these presents when manually linking the 8-button Mini-Remote and the Dimmer Switch? Thanks in advance for your reply;.

Comment

That is probably for a feature in an older FW or never released. I would ignore it since it is not documented anywhere else.

Your best bet here is to manually program the switch to the desired ramp rate and then link the motion sensor to the switch while the switch is On, as BLH suggested.

For the slowest manual speed (8-10sec)
            1. Turn the switch Off
            2. Double tap the set button. This sets the ramp rate based on the LED position. (You should only hear one beep)
            3. Turn the switch ON...notice it goes much slower. if you double tap On it will do a fast ON and ignore the ramp setting
            4. Put the motion sensor into linking mode
            5. Link the switch to the motion sensor
            This process was more feel than exact so you might want to play around a little. If you absolutely need 20 seconds you will need a controller. Either a Hub, or an ISY if you need to schedule the motion sensor actions.

http://cache.insteon.com/pdf/2476D.pdf (pg 10)

Comment

Originally posted by SeanM View Post
              That is probably for a feature in an older FW or never released. I would ignore it since it is not documented anywhere else.

Your best bet here is to manually program the switch to the desired ramp rate and then link the motion sensor to the switch while the switch is On, as BLH suggested.

For the slowest manual speed (8-10sec)
              1. Turn the switch Off
              2. Double tap the set button. This sets the ramp rate based on the LED position. (You should only hear one beep)
              3. Turn the switch ON...notice it goes much slower. if you double tap On it will do a fast ON and ignore the ramp setting
              4. Put the motion sensor into linking mode
              5. Link the switch to the motion sensor
              This process was more feel than exact so you might want to play around a little. If you absolutely need 20 seconds you will need a controller. Either a Hub, or an ISY if you need to schedule the motion sensor actions.

http://cache.insteon.com/pdf/2476D.pdf (pg 10)
              Thank you for the information. 8-10 seconds fade up should do the trick. For clarification, I'm trying to use the 8-button mini-remote as the Controller and the 2477-D Dimmer Switch as the Responder. I do not have a motion sensor. I will try your method and report back.

Comment

I have found how they act depends on the features added in later revisions.
                My 2477D was from a I2CS developers group kit. So I know the firmware may have issues.

I found the latest 2477D manual. It does show a flow chart. What revision 2477D do you have? Should be on the white sticker along with the six digit Insteon ID and a production date code. Since you mentioned an older version 2477D. The flow chart method probably does not apply.

The slowest ramp rate I could set on mine was about 5 seconds.
                Last edited by BLH; 08-12-2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
                  I have found how they act depends on the features added in later revisions.
                  My 2477D was from a I2CS developers group kit. So I know the firmware may have issues.

I found the latest 2477D manual. It does show a flow chart. What revision 2477D do you have? Should be on the white sticker along with the six digit Insteon ID and a production date code. Since you mentioned an older version 2477D. The flow chart method probably does not apply.

The slowest ramp rate I could set on mine was about 5 seconds.
                  Thanks, the manual I have (downloaded from Insteon web-site) is dated 3-25-2015. The "flow chart" is on page 25 of 39. I suspect you are correct about the firmware. Linking manually and creating scenes manually is a chore, but I've read so many negative reviews about the Hub that I'm going to stick with the old "tried and true" methodology.

All the dimmer switches have been manually linked to the 8-button mini-remote. Ramp rates have been set, but I may do some tinkering. Now all that's left is creating the Scenes. All the lights are in a single room (Home Theater), so I'm not attempting any type of whole house automation. If I decide to take this to another level, I'll probably try the ISY994i. It looks like a more reliable option than the Insteon Hubs. Thanks again for everyone who offered help. It's much appreciated.
                  Last edited by JohnGraves; 08-12-2020, 04:50 PM. Reason: Further developments

Comment

Sounds like you are progressing.
                    If you need some older revision modules manuals. I may have them and can possibly find a way to get it to you.
                    One thing about the ISY994i. You can get the low end base model. Then add things like the PRO features or ZWave daughter board update later.

Comment

Working...
                    X