Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can an Insteon dimmer switch have a non-Insteon motion detector switch as its load?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can an Insteon dimmer switch have a non-Insteon motion detector switch as its load?

I have a Lutron motion detector switch that controls a light in a dark hallway. That switch is the "load" of another normal on-off switch outside the hallway. That way it is possible to turn this motion detector switch off without having to walk to the other end of the hallway.

I want to replace that on-off switch with an Insteon dimmer switch. Is there any danger in putting the motion detector switch on the dimmer load? I'd like to be able to have the Insteon hub turn off a bunch of lights at night including the one in the hallway. (I don't want to mount an Insteon motion detector since the current dimmer switch works fine)
    Last edited by mtiede; 07-17-2019, 06:19 AM.

There shouldn't be an issue.

Just make sure that the load is compatible with the Insteon dimmer

and

Make sure you unlink the On/Off switch from the motion sensor before you unhook it from power.

Comment

Ok, it sounds like it is okay to do. However, your second instruction is confusing. There is no separate motion sensor involved, and the motion detector switch is Lutron so there is nothing to "unlink". Maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying there.

And in this case, is the Lutron the "load" that you talk about being compatible or the light bulb the Lutron controls? I have no idea if the Lutron is compatible with the Insteon dimmer. That is sort of my question.

Comment

I'm having trouble trying to find out if the bulb is dimmable. It is a FEIT OM60DM/930CA/4 is what it says on the bulb. 800 lumen, but doesn't specifically say on the bulb that it is dimmable. Is there a problem with just trying it? Will it fail with flashing or is there a potential safety hazard?

On Home Depot, I found OM60DM/930CA/4/12 and I'm not sure if that is the same or not, but that one is dimmable.

... time passes ...

Ok, I think I found what I have on the FEIT site and it looks to be dimmable.
        Last edited by mtiede; 07-17-2019, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Apologies...I misread that. I was thinking Insteon to Insteon.

By repurposing the load wire of the Insteon dimmer switch to the Line-in of the Lutron switch you will basically make the Insteon switch a kill switch. I do not think you will be able to Dim the load on the Lutron. If this is the intent I would recommend using the 2477S but a D may work.

As you dim the Insteon dimmer it will "starve" the Lutron switch of its needed 120V required for operation...which could affect its electronics. You wont know how the Lutron switch will react until you try it out. No need for unlinking here.

Comment

Originally posted by mtiede View Post
            I'm having trouble trying to find out if the bulb is dimmable. It is a FEIT OM60DM/930CA/4 is what it says on the bulb. 800 lumen, but doesn't specifically say on the bulb that it is dimmable. Is there a problem with just trying it? Will it fail with flashing or is there a potential safety hazard?

On Home Depot, I found OM60DM/930CA/4/12 and I'm not sure if that is the same or not, but that one is dimmable.

... time passes ...

Ok, I think I found what I have on the FEIT site and it looks to be dimmable.
            Incompatible loads will give you that flicker/fluttering action with Insteon. I have never seen anything more serious then that but maybe someone else in the group has other experiences.

Rule of thumb is if it does not say dimmable on the box it is not dimmable...but I can see the description on Home Depot as well. The picture of the packaging references that these were dimmable.

Comment

Yeah, no original box here for the Lutron. Was already in place. I probably put it in years ago, but I don't remember. And to confuse matters, as I open up the Lutron switch box, there's a lot of wires there. More than I expected. I'm going to have to puzzle out how this currently works. There are 3 wires (white, black, red) where the switch in the wall is. From white to black was 110 volts when power was on, but so was white to red. Maybe it was a 3 way. And the wires by the Lutron aren't what I would expect either (and there are 2 other wire cables going into the box. I'm going to have to find on line the Lutron wiring diagram and maybe that will help.

I've found with experience that nothing is ever simple.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Got it figured out. Took a while to figure out which wires were hot and which went to the light etc. Now it is working as a 3 way between the Insteon and the Lutron. And it was fun trying to fit all the wires in the boxes. Especially the Insteon as that was already a 3 gang box with 3 switches and other wires.

Comment

Working...
                X