Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2477D with incandescent faintly flicker to traffic. Also tripping AFCI breaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2477D with incandescent faintly flicker to traffic. Also tripping AFCI breaker.

I recently added an OLED tv to a room with a 2477D and ever since the AFCI will trip at random when in the on position and the tv is powered on. When troubleshooting I unplugged the tv and hooked up a space heater in the same circuit, but different outlet, and the AFCI eventually tripped again. If I put the 2477D in the off position the AFCI is not tripping. I also noticed that there is a faint flicker in the two sconces the 2477D operates. I enabled the option to have the LEDs blink during Insteon traffic I can see that this faint flicker in the lights is the same as the Insteon traffic.

The house was built in 2012 and the AFCI that trips is a Square D. My office, in the same house, also has 2477D on a Square D AFCI. I run an AC unit, a laptop, and desktop and it hasn't tripped once.

Are there any recommendations other than swapping out AFCIs until its no longer a nuisance? Are there any supported dimmers that are only RF? Would plugging the TV in to an UPS help? I have a 2477S I can put in but I really don't want to lose the ability to dim the lights in this room. Any help or suggestions appreciated!

I'll check them this weekend.

Flicker may not have been the best word. The lights never cut out, they pulsate. Its not noticeable until you start looking for it. Each pulse occurs at the same time the LEDs blink on the switch when I have the "Blink on Insteon Traffic" option enabled.

Comment

1) have y0u tried swapping the tsp 2477Ds to see if it is the switch or the load causing the problem,... if you switch them and it still happens then it is in the wiring.. the fact that you have trickle power getting to the bulbs and it is not a two wire system means power somehow is trickling through the switch even in the off position.. my gut is its the switch.. although the fact that it only started when you put the tv in there is weird or a very strange coincidence..

Comment

We've posted an article that covers some of the rules one should follow when wiring switches on AFCI circuits: https://www.insteon.com/support-knowledgebase/insteon-and-afci-breakers

Follow these important rules when wiring devices on AFCI circuits:
        • Any branch circuits that feed receptacles before switches should be pigtailed connections at the receptacle. This is where you wire the incoming wire and the wire from the panel side and the wire going down stream together with a third wire “the pigtail” that goes to the outlet. DO NOT USE THE OUTLET AS A SPLICE TO CONNECT THE INCOMING AND OUTGOING WIRES BY STABBING THEM INTO THE BACK OF THE OUTLET
        • With AFCI breakers it is imperative that wall switches are connected to the same neutral that goes with that circuit. If switch box has two neutrals, only connect the switches neutral wire to the neutral from the circuit the switch is connected to. If an AFCI breaker wont reset after installing an Insteon switch it is because the wrong neutral was used. This can be a result of the electrician crossing neutrals in another box and not the fault of the wiring at the switch box itself.
        • Loose or poor splices can cause a situation where an Insteon switch can trip an AFCI breaker. This is not the fault of the switch but the loose connection somewhere in the circuit.
        Insteon Stats
        User since: 2005
        House has: 35 devices (+ 20 or more so for testing)
        Managing with: Hub 2 & Director

Comment

Working...
        X