Installing switch driving me batty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing switch driving me batty

My junction box has a live black wire and a neutral white wire. The Insteon has three wires including red. According to Insteon documentation for a 2-wire box the black goes to black and the red goes to the box's white. I've tried other combinations without success.

What is the correct connections to use.

A newbie

The white wire in your box is not a neutral wire. Depending on your use and bulbs, you will either need the 2 wire dimmer (2474dwh) or a micromodule in your fixture and the wiring re-done so that the white wire in your box becomes a neutral.

I'm sure Stusviews will be on soon. He will be able to tell you exactly how to accomplish this.

Comment

If by junction box, you actually mean switch box, then lilyoyo1 is correct, white is line and black is load, There is no neutral wire in that box. You have two choices (maybe only one).

If the load is incandescent, then a 2-wire Insteon dimmer will work. The other choice is to reconnect the wires at the fixture to make white neutral and black line and install a SwitchLinc dimmer at the switch box and a Micro Module dimmer inside the fixture box. Then link the SwitchLinc as a controller of the Micro Module.

BTW, that's the usual method when the load is not incandescent any you have only black and white at the switch box.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I replaced the switch with the 2-wire model and now the switch works, Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X