3 way switch help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 way switch help!!!

I'm trying for the life of me to get this 3 way situation working. Here's what I got:

- 2 locations controlling 1 light, and I'm trying to install a Dimmer in Location 1 and a 8 button in location 2.

- In location 2 I have a 3 conductor (R,B,W) cable coming in and that is it. I can't get this 8 button to have any power where I see the LED indicator lights turn on. I have tested for the hot leg and attached that to Line. I attached the white wires together, and I have experimented with attaching and not attaching the Red's and there is no difference.

- In location 1, I have the same 3 conductor wire (I'm assuming) and a 2 conductor wire (Black White). Here I can get the dimmer indicator lights to turn on, but no control of the fixture. I found the hot leg and attached that to Line, I attached the white wire to the big bundle, and here I experimented with the Red's attached and not attached and its the same result.

Can someone help walk me through where i am wrong? I'm assuming it's 1 little thing that I am missing.

You're missing a neutral. See my reply in the other forum where you posted.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

hey
      There are three screw terminals on the body of the switch, in addition to the green grounding screw. One screw, known as the common, is a darker color than the others. The other two screws, usually a lighter brass color, are known as the traveler terminals.

Comment

Sometimes, a 3-way circuit doesn't work because someone tried to replace a defective switch and did not properly connect the wires. ... Disconnect all three wires (or four, if the outlet is grounded) from both switches. Separate the wires so that they are as far away from each other as possible. 2) Turn the power back on.
        pay slip view
        Last edited by payslipview; 10-25-2021, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X