Wiring 3 way power from switch 1 through light to switch 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring 3 way power from switch 1 through light to switch 2

Hi I'm trying to wire two insteon switches on an existing 3way setup. The power goes into the 1st box, travels to the light in a 14/3 wire and then to the 2nd switch. Anyone know of a diagram that can explain? Thanks
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Have you looked in the Full Users Manual for the Model Insteon module, you are trying to use?
    Most of the manuals have typical wiring examples in them.
    Basically you reuse one of the traveler wires from the switch location with power. To the other position. To provide Line and Neutral power. Then cap off the Load wire on the switch not connecting to the Load. Cross Linking both so either one controls the Load and the indicators show On, Off, or dim level on both modules.

Comment

Three-way light switches control a light from two locations, such as A three-way switch is built and wired a little differently than a But the “hot” or “charged” wire coming from the power source is routed through the switches.

MySainsburys Login
      Last edited by Thorn250; 02-26-2021, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn250 View Post
        Three-way light switches control a light from two locations, such as A three-way switch is built and wired a little differently than a But the “hot” or “charged” wire coming from the power source is routed through the switches.
        This is mostly correct, but there are a few variations on to how this type of set up can be wired. In this case the OP is stating that the line goes through the switch to the light, then continues on to a secondary switch. I attached a picture of a variation that seems close so others can see what this looks like.

If it was me I would just wire an Insteon switch in place of the main switch and then use a mini remote for the secondary switch to avoid figuring out the wiring issue...because I'm lazy. Otherwise you need to start testing wires for hot/cold to figure out what's what and then, as BLH said, repurpose the travelers' accordingly.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X