Ceiling Fan Switch Guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceiling Fan Switch Guidance

We will be moving into a new house in a month and I am in the planning stages of my Insteon setup. One thing I wanted to get some thoughts on is ceiling fans. At my current home, which we are moving out of, we had two switches for each fan, one controlling the light and one the fan. We used Hunter and Hampton Bay installed switches, negating the need for the second switch and allowing us to use remotes, as well as the wall switch to control everything. All of this was before Alexa. I installed one Fanlinc in used a keypad to control it, so I am familiar with it. Also at my current house, I bought a Bond to connect to Alexa and it works pretty well to control the ceiling fans, including their lights.

At the new home, the light and ceiling fan are controlled by two switches, with the ceiling fan switch providing the ability to set the speed of the fan.

What is everyone doing now for ceiling fans? I want to be able to connect to Alexa for control, but also be able to use a switch or keypad in some cases. Any recommendations on what you have done recently would be greatly appreciated!!!

If you change fan speeds then the fanlinc and kpl is all you need. At that point you could put a blank in the extra spot. The buttons can control the fan and lights.

You could also link a separate dimmer next to the kpl. Use the kpl for speeds and extra stuff and let the dimmer control the light or something else such as lamps.

​​​​​​If you don't change fan speeds, a simple relay switch works as well. You can use 1 for turning the fan on/off and put a dimmer next to it for light control.
    ​​​​​​
    There is no right or wrong way to set this up. It's really up to you and your lifestyle

Comment

Thanks....I didn't think it was too complicated, but I wanted check!!

Comment

I just want to say that the ceiling fan direction in summer should be counterclockwise to help create a downdraft, which creates that direct, cooling breeze. Your fan direction in winter needs to be clockwise to create an updraft and circulate warm air around the room FMC4ME PeopleSoft Login
        Last edited by Denisesutter; 09-05-2022, 09:48 PM.

Comment

I think It's look for signs of life from the Insteon Hub. Even if not properly connected, you should see a green LED glow on the front of the Hub. If the LED doesn’t illuminate, check the power outlet. official website
          Last edited by Brandyhorn; 09-06-2022, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X