Switches and a deleted scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switches and a deleted scene

I created a scene for operating my fanlinc High Fan speed. To my surprise the scene also turned on the switches that operate the front and back yard lights. There was once upon a time a scene that did just that, turn on the front and back yard lights. That scene was deleted and let's assume not correctly, perhaps the lights switches were deleted first, never set up right in the first place, too long ago to remember. I was a newbie and still am.

What I discovered is that it had nothing to do with the fan. I deleted the high fan scene and recreated it, same thing. I deleted the high fan scene and created a scene to turn on a dinning room light. The new scene turned on the dinning room light and the front and back yard lights. Then I created the high fan scene again and now just the fan operates.

I observed, on the android, that GROUP 35 was designated as the group for the scene that was controlling dining room light AND front and back yard lights. So after I created the additional scene for the high fan, it was assigned on the android, Group 48. Now I have a scene for the dining room that I don't plan to use just wanted the fan on high without turning on lights.

I'm probably not clear, what I am relating is that every time I deleted and recreated a scene it was given group 35. It wasn't until I created an additional scene that a different group number was assigned.

What is the group number about and know this, the group numbers are something different on the Windows 10 App? Totally different!

This is what I need guidance with. I want to get the lights switches out of the scene that is associated with, on the android, group 35. I also see I have conflicts. I discovered the use of "blink on activity", so I set one switch to do just that. And sure enough turning on the front and or back yard lights there is a lot of activity. It blinks and blinks! There is not that kind of activity with any other controllers.

I think the best method is to factory reset the four switches for the lights. Two (3way configured) switches operate the front and same for the back. One switch is the 2477S with load and the other switch is the 2466S. There is also a front yard scene and a back yard scene that both work and the reason for them is because I wanted each switch to react to the status of the lights being on or off. I have both switches in the scene set to BOTH.

I'll delete both scenes first, then factory reset the switches. But what about that scene that has, on the android, group 35? I get that I should probably delete it first as well BUT is there any other procedure I need before I make this worse than it already is.
    Last edited by RPSalty; 04-19-2018, 05:42 AM.

Thanks, I will give that a go. I seem to remember that I originally tried to link the switches manually. Then I discovered how easy it was with an app. As for the Windows 10 app, I rarely use it as it doesn't seem to be supported. I did look to the Windows app when I saw the Group 35 in android, trying to figure out what it meant.

Comment

Obviously I am not taking the correct steps. I'm just using the android app. I have deleted all of the scene members but not the scene. I quit the app, used get configuration. The scene still controls the switches and the load. There are no members in the scene.

This is not the same scene that I started the post. I created a new scene that wasn't group 35 and all is well. This scene I'm having trouble with now is group 34. All I did was add the dining room to the backyard scene to test adding and removing. Now I can't remove the dining room. And I find I can't remove the back yard switches either.

Comment

What is the next step? The woes I've described continue. I'm sure somewhere along the way it was me that deleted scenes without removing the members first. So far groups 34, 35 and 38 are corrupt in someway. With group 35, I deleted all the members and left the scene empty. Next day the scene was gone. However when I tried creating a new scene it came up at group 35 and the dining room light is connected but not listed as a member. Created another new scene, group 38 and now the living room lights are connected but not listed as a member.

The members listed are deleted from the scenes and the scenes deleted.

My goal is a 3-way switch for the back yard lights. The switches are not in any scenes. I've deleted the switches from the Android App. I manually unlinked the two switches, both ways. I power cycled the HUB. I waited 24 hours. The Android app has been closed, restarted and "get configuration". I manually linked the switches, both ways. The switches operate the lights and both switches follow the other switch to indicate on or off. (I'm assuming in the Android App, that scene setup is "both"). And they operate nothing else!!

I've waited another 24 hours. Neither switch shows up on the Android App. Not that I thought they would but I was hoping. Why doesn't the android app see them? If I add them to the Android App, is this going to duplicate? Would it be better to use the Windows App instead to add the switches? I note that the Windows App, when creating a scene doesn't give you the choice of a member being a responder, controller or both.

Comment

Do you have a lot of devices? If not, I would delete your account, factory reset your hub and devices following the instructions in their individual manualsl and start with a clean slate.

Once done, using the Android app from 1 device (as mentioned earlier), add your devices back to the app and configure them.

Comment

I only have 34 devices and a spread sheet with all the ID's. I think you're right, a clean slate would eliminate the operator error! Having said that, would you be kind enough to direct me to a good thread on how to properly configure. For example, a lamp module is a responder - yes? Two switches operate it - controllers - yes? I want the two switches to be in sync. Is it best to do that with the app, or best to link the two switches manually, or do I configure the switch as both and when I use one switch it turns on the light and changes the status of the other switch?

Before I ctrl-alt-delete my programing skills need to be improved

Comment

I wouldn't link anything outside of your hub as that could cause issues that you may not be aware of. Since you are using the hub, all linking should be done with that.

In your scenario, you would add all devices to the scene. The switches would be added using "both" since you want them to control and respond to one another. The lamplinc would be a responder since it responds to what the switches tell it to.

With that said, I would add all devices to the scene as "both". That way if you push the buttons on the lamplinc for some reason, the switches will show the property status.

There was a post made a few days ago that says controller vs responder which details what your looking for.

Comment

Thx - I'll get in touch with tech support and begin the process ctrl-alt-del!

Comment

Working...
                X