3 Way Switch HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Way Switch HELP

I have 2 2477S that I'm setting up. I've been successful in the past with 3 way switches but this one has me stumped. First problem is that i don't see any traveler wires anywhere. Just 2 blacks and a white. I've been able to figure our which one would be the primary and the other the secondary but I've run into more issues. In the secondary box there is a white wire just capped by itself.

The power runs into the primary via the bottom black wire but I'm not sure where it comes into on the secondary. Also if the primary is switched to off NO power gets to the secondary and can't power the lights on.

I'm not an electrician by any stretch of the imagination but I'm pretty good and figuring things out but this one is perplexing me.

I've tried the following link before but it isn't helping me this time - https://bithead942.wordpress.com/201...ernate-wiring/

Any help would be appreciated.
    Stephen
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

I'm not an electrician either but it seems like your secondary is just another switch in the line. What I mean is, instead of having an actual 3 way switch, you have two regular switches in the same circuit. Maybe if you wired your primary to be always on, you could wire your secondary to be the actual switch. That said, I have experienced issues having multiple switches (in my case a switch and two Fanlincs) in the same circuit. Stuff didn't respond right. I had to hard wire the circuit to always on and use scenes to control the Fanlincs.

Hope that helps!
    Proud tinkerer with Insteon Hub, Switches, Dimmers, Fanlincs, etc. Plus some Amazon Echos to make things more fun!
    I blog about smart home stuff too!

Comment

A standard 3-way switch has three wires connected to it (that's why it's called 3-way). Two screws are brass. Those are the travelers and one screw is black. Depending on where the line enters, that wire is either the line or the load. If a white wire is connected to the black screw, then that's most likely the line.

Describe what color wire is connected to each screw (brass/black) at both boxes. It appears that there's a bundle of white wires that don't connect to anything else. If so, then that's probably the neutral.

You can disregard ground wires, if any.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffryE View Post
        I had to hard wire the circuit to always on and use scenes to control the Fanlincs.
        The controller device (e.g., Keypad) and FanLinc are meant to be hardwired (powered on all the time). Anything else is incorrect.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post

The controller device (e.g., Keypad) and FanLinc are meant to be hardwired (powered on all the time). Anything else is incorrect.
          Correct. My problem is that the standard instructions don't mention this so I mistakenly had my Keypad switching power on and off to my Fanlincs. Part of the issue being I didn't know how to hardwire the Keypad so that it was powered and always on. Once I figured out the issues, I was able fix them. As a added perk, the on/off but for the Keypad could be connected to something else and wasn't useless any more.
          Proud tinkerer with Insteon Hub, Switches, Dimmers, Fanlincs, etc. Plus some Amazon Echos to make things more fun!
          I blog about smart home stuff too!

Comment

Working...
          X