Keypad ticking and switching on and off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keypad ticking and switching on and off

I have installed a 6 button keypad with three buttons being linked to other Insteon (1 lamp, 2 wall outlets). I am already used to the keypad to turn off completely when I turn on one of the wall outlets that has equipment connected in stand-by and then to reset itself. However, the keypad now also started ticking like a clock without any interaction, then turns completely off to afterwards reset and operate as normal. This happens a number of times during the week. We did not yet figure out what triggers it, any insights would be welcome.

Turning something on can interfere with Insteon communication, but it should not turn the device off. Which KPL. dimmer of On/Off? What is the other equipment? How do you turn it on? Details, detail, details!
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I am using a 6 button controller with dimmer, 2486DWH6C, Dimmer was never used so I assume it is off. Only 2 buttons are used, they are linked to two remote sockets, one with a small circulation pump and one with a TV set in stand-by. Independant of the time of the day, can be midnight with very little activity in the house, the unit constantly shows the above described behavior.

Comment

What is the load wire connected to? What are the devices each button controls? Which button controls which device? How are you creating scenes/links between the devices?

BTW, new KPLs usually turn on the load a second or two after being powered on for the first time. That ensures that the KPL is working.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Okay, a couple of years and one 6 button controller later the same issue is happening, the unit blanks completely on the front and gives out a ticking noise. I searched the forum and could see that a number of other folks experienced the same problem, like them I am concerned regarding safety. Doing a factory reset (which was the only recommendation from the helpline) does not correct the problem. The load on the unit is comparably low, the on/off button controls a 50 W ceiling lamp and 2 of the 4 buttons are/were linked to Insteon wall sockets. So, is the MTBF for these units less than 3 years? Anything that triggers this defect?

Comment

That could be the power supply in the KPL is failing.
            Modules can do strange things if the power supply is getting flaky.
            Did you try a power cycle? To clear any possible lost electronics doing strange things.

Comment

Thanks BLH, we removed power from the unit, factory reset it (where it behaved differently than expected with regards to beeps). No success, the unit continued to tick, and actually went back and forth from fault mode and being operational with changing frequency. We also called the Helpdesk which was friendly but basically only knows two scenarios, warranty replacement and factory reset, they never heard the units starting to tick. Well, we were able to demonstrate this to them but overall that call has not been insightful.

In the meantime the new controller 2487S has arrived and was installed. The changes to the old unit we replaced where quite visible. The housing has become even bigger so it will be important to measure ahead of time whether there is enough space available. The gauge of the red, black and ground wire has probably doubled in size.

We are curious what the MTBF will be this time around, with this being already device #3 in a few years of overall usage the performance of this Insteon device in my mind has been very poor.
              Last edited by Jon F; 07-08-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon F View Post
                Thanks BLH, we removed power from the unit, factory reset it (where it behaved differently than expected with regards to beeps). No success, the unit continued to tick, and actually went back and forth from fault mode and being operational with changing frequency. We also called the Helpdesk which was friendly but basically only knows two scenarios, warranty replacement and factory reset, they never heard the units starting to tick. Well, we were able to demonstrate this to them but overall that call has not been insightful.

In the meantime the new controller 2487S has arrived and was installed. The changes to the old unit we replaced where quite visible. The housing has become even bigger so it will be important to measure ahead of time whether there is enough space available. The gauge of the red, black and ground wire has probably doubled in size.

We are curious what the MTBF will be this time around, with this being already device #3 in a few years of overall usage the performance of this Insteon device in my mind has been very poor.
                Insteon keypads haven't changed in dimensions. You ordered a different keypad than what you had in the past. Your previous kpl was a dimmer while you purchased the relay version. If you want the newer version of what you had previously, you'll need to get the 2334-232

Device failures are based on many different variables. For example, my Mom's house is going on 7 years with her oldest devices. A friend of mine is around the 6 year mark with only 1 failure. While my house is new, some of the devices have been re-used from my old place and are about 4 years old. The quality of newer devices are much better than older so the potential for longer life is there. With that said, the constants in all of our homes is ensuring all loads are compatible (not using non dimmable devices on dimmers), making sure to de-rate when applicable, and the use of whole house surge protectors. In the case of my house, we use a whole house surge protector as well as a meter protector. While neither guarantees devices will not be damaged by spikesi do think they help tremendously with the types and amount of storms here.

With that said, power sags can also be an issue. In the end making sure the environment is stable and conducive to electronics will enable a long life for insteon devices
                Last edited by lilyoyo1; 07-08-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

The 2847S is the relay version as pointed out.
                  It is a 20 amp switch and if compared to the dimmer KPL is deeper than the dimmer version as shown on the Smarthome sales pages.
                  The 2334-232 is 1.2" deep. The 2487S is 1.7" deep. I have seen others comment on the .5" deeper and use of a heaver gauge wire due to the 20 amp rating.

Comment

Working...
                  X