8 button keypad with an identity problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 button keypad with an identity problem

I have and 8 button keypad that will not allow me to switch it from the set up for a 6 button.
    I'm using IOS to set up the keypad but the image at the top show the six button setup and when i set the local settings to 8 it save and reverts to 6.
    I'm setting everything up via IOS but I have tried to use android but it wont even see the keypad.
    Any ideas would be great.

Pete

Is it safe to say you have the correct frame kit installed also? Meaning if it was a 6 button KPL do you have a 8 button frame kit in place now? Worst case if the smart application doesn't work you can do it manually as outlined in the full users manual.
    Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Yeah I even went so far as to buy another 8 button kit and it still see it as a 6 button. I may just get a 6 button kit and be done. this is just so frustrating.

Comment

Hello Pete,

I would encourage you to first make the changes manually outlined in the full users manual. Next, using the Smart Application I would send off a bug report to the development team it could very well be a software bug.

Doing so will at least confirm or negate this is a iOS application bug and helps the next person down the line.
        Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Originally posted by peaston View Post
          Yeah I even went so far as to buy another 8 button kit and it still see it as a 6 button. I may just get a 6 button kit and be done. this is just so frustrating.
          The kit has nothing to do with changing the mode of the KPL except for making the buttons easier to push. You could remove the frame and change to mode by pushing and holding the appropriate buttons.

Nearly all apps will identify the KPL as the original hardware, but the number of nodes (5 or 8) should be correct. You need to change the mode before adding the device to the app or the change won't be recognized.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Hi there.
            I have an Insteon 8 button keypad that I just added to my Insteon Hub. (When I originally bought this years ago, it was a 6-button, and came with a 8-button plate to swap out.)

Within the iOS app, it shows up as a 6-button. When I try to edit the device in the app, it won’t keep the 8 button configuration, and always reverts back to 6-way. Here’s what happens:
            1. In the iOS app, I click Edit Devices and choose the device.
            2. I scroll down to Button Configuration, and tap the 8 square, noticing that the 6-square is blue/selected.
            3. After the Updating Settings popup clears, it reverts back to 6, at about 6 seconds.

I’ve factory-reset the keypad, deleted/added the unit back into the Hub and nothing seems to work.

Any thoughts?
            Thanks

Comment

I would recommend manually switching it from 6 to 8 button mode and then adding it to the Hub. If it's an older FW the Hub may not have the ability to make the configuration change.

Comment

Thanks SeanM. How would I do that? I swapped out the button plate before installing in the wall. Is there something else I would need to do?

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I'll try. I also have an old 8 button keypad, not dual band. I recently bought the hub and while the app finds the keypad device it sets it as a 6 button. I cannot change it to 8--when I do, it just goes back to 6. Any suggestions? I do I manually change the mode on the keypad (if that's the issue)?

Comment

Worth a shot.

http://cache.insteon.com/pdf/2486D.pdf

Changing to 8-Button Configuration
                    1) Replace the 6-button plate with the 8-button plate - Attach the change-out plate to the switch body by aligning the tabs and snapping into place
                    2) Gently pull the Set button out as far as it will go
                    3) Wait 10 seconds
                    4) While simultaneously holding the On/Off (upper left-most) button and the H button, carefully press the Set button back in flush with the trim frame
                    5) Once the Set button is pushed in, continue holding the On/Off button and H buttons for 3 seconds, and then release

Comment

Working...
                    X