Problem with On and Off buttons on a 6 key dimmer keypad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with On and Off buttons on a 6 key dimmer keypad

I understand that the On and Off buttons on the 6 key keypads are configured as "always on" and "always off" respectively.

I had, however, assumed that they were effectively separate controllers but it appears when trying to set the keypad up that they are really a single logical controller with two physical buttons associated with it.

I had hoped the I could use the Off button as an "All Off" by linking it to every dimmer in the room to turn it off, but it appears that the On and Off buttons have to control the same set of dimmers which is what I don't want to do.

In case that wasn't clear, I do want the On and Off buttons to control the load that is directly wired to the keypad dimmer, but I also want the Off button to linked to several other dimmers so that it will turn *all* of them off (and I do *not* want the On button to turn them on).

Sounds simple (and useful) but, unless I am missing something, it doesn't seem to be possible,

That can be done. You'll need to change the mode from 6-button to 8-button. What you do after that depends on what you use to link devices, manually, a Hub (which one), an ISY, software or something else.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

OK, thanks - right now I am using the HouseLinc software purely for setup purposes. When I reconfigure the unit into 8 button mode, I get a button layout like this:

A B
      C D
      E F
      G H

Assuming that I still have a 6 button keypad fitted, does the top "ON" button effectively activate both A and B, and the bottom "Off" button G and H?

Comment

Once you set it to 8 button mode then only the right hand side of the "On" controls the load. You will want to link what would be the A button or Right side of the On button to B or the left side of On button then link B to A.

Note: A and B are not the actual A and B buttons of you six button but the position they would be if the keypad had an 8 button layout.

Now On will turn on and off the load and the Off can be used for another function.
        Last edited by SteveL; 07-03-2016, 06:21 PM.

Comment

It's good that you know how to change the mode. That saves needing an explanation. Phew!

Each button is independent regardless of the faceplate used. You will need to:

1. Cross-link buttons A & B
          2. Cross-link buttons G & H
          3. Ensure that you link both of buttons A & B as controller of and/or resonder to the same device(s)
          4. Ensure that you link both of buttons G & H as controller of and/or resonder to the same device(s)

Here's a Keypad that I converted to 6-function:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1roaqk8thz...KPL25.jpg?dl=0
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
          X