Programming Buttons to different levels of SAME LOAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programming Buttons to different levels of SAME LOAD

I have two dimmer switches and one dimmer keypad (8 button) that all control the same load - some can lights in an auditorium. I DO NOT have a hub of any kind. I'm wondering if there is any way to program different buttons on the keypad to set the lights to different brightness levels. For example, Main On/Off turns on and off at 100%, button C under it sets them to 65%, button E below that to 45%, and button G at the bottom to 25%. I'm wondering if there is a way to achieve this setup manually using only the keypad and switches. I don't know if it's important, but the LOAD is connected to the keypad, not any of the switches.

Any help?

Yes. The instructions that come in the box with your switch describes the process as well as the online manuals on the product webpage on smarthome.com
    a hub makes the process infinitely easier though

Comment

As Lilyoyo1 pointed out the steps are in the manual but this process is convoluted at best, and maddening without some sort of software. Support will not walk you through something like this because of the complexities involved.

You will want to ignore the switches for this. If they are already working as a multi-way circuit it's best to leave them alone.

On the keypad, set the load to whatever brightness you want, using the Main On/Off button.

Next, tap the keypad radio button (B-H) that will be used to control that brightness so it lights up. If it is already On, tap it once to turn Off and again to turn back On. (This has to do with the state link process and also letting the keypad know what button we are using as a controller)

Then, press and hold the Main On/Off button down for ten (10) seconds, or until you hear the double beep. This essentially links the new button to the main button at that brightness. You would repeat this for each brightness and button you want to set. (*note - on a keypad dimmer, while pressing the ON/Off will cause a Resume Dim, or Resume Bright command, but when the buttons link, they will link at the brightness level it was at when you started to hold down the button.

This DOES NOT address how the button LEDs respond to each other when pressed. (button grouping) So you will need to perform that process as well.

Tap all the buttons so that they are ON. Then cross link every button with every button like a giant multi circuit.

A links to B,C,D,E,F,G,H
      B links to A,C,D,E,F,G,H,
      C links to A,B.D,E,F,G,H
      etc...

After that, tap all the buttons so that they are Off.

Again, cross link all the buttons with each other like a giant multi way circuit.

A links to B,C,D,E,F,G,H
      B links to A,C,D,E,F,G,H,
      C links to A,B.D,E,F,G,H
      etc...

This would probably take me about 30-45 min without software, assuming I made zero mistakes...and I have done this a bunch of times.

Personally, I would spend the $40-80 for the Hub so it could do it for me. In almost all software and apps, you would make a scene for each brightness, and include the button you want to use to control it, and also include the Main On/Off set at whatever brightness it should be at. Then you would just add the other buttons in the Off state and the software would perform all the linking and button grouping for you.

Comment

SeanM, thank you so much for your help on this. I will give it a shot today and post the results. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X