Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Various questions about capability of keypads

Hello,

I have a bunch of questions about the keypad hoping someone can advise please!

Setting scenes
    1. What happens if I press a scene button again after it has already triggered the scene I assigned it to?
    2. Can I set a scene button to trigger both on/off for another light? (e.g. press it once, switch on hallway light. Press it again, switch off hallway light)
    3. For a 6-buttons keypad, there is one ON and one OFF button for the load, is it possible to set the ON button so that it turns the light (which is connected to the load) off when pressing it again?
    4. Is it possible to set the individual dimmer switch such that, when they are switched off, they will set the status of all the scene buttons including this light to OFF?
    5. Can a scene button sets a group of light to a particular brightness level?
    6. Can an Insteon mini remote trigger a scene button on a in-wall keypad?

Connection with Harmony Hub
    1. Is it possible for a scene button on a keypad to trigger activities on Harmony Hub?
    2. Is it possible for a Harmony Hub activity to trigger a scene button on a keypad?

Thanks a lot!

1. If the button is in toggle mode (default), then the second press will turn the scene off.
    2. That depends on the Insteon manager you are using, for example a Hub, software or an ISY or something else.
    3. Only if you change the mode to 8-button and use both button A & B (of the 8-, not 6-buttons) and use both buttons as controllers.
    4. Yes. How you do it depends on which button you want to use as a controller.
    5. Yes. Create a scene with the button as a controller. Add the responders and adjust their On-levels and, optionally, ramp rates.
    6. A Mini Remote button can be a controller of an responder or group of responders. You'll need to add the button as a controller of the buttons scene. not the button.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
      1. If the button is in toggle mode (default), then the second press will turn the scene off.
      2. That depends on the Insteon manager you are using, for example a Hub, software or an ISY or something else.
      3. Only if you change the mode to 8-button and use both button A & B (of the 8-, not 6-buttons) and use both buttons as controllers.
      4. Yes. How you do it depends on which button you want to use as a controller.
      5. Yes. Create a scene with the button as a controller. Add the responders and adjust their On-levels and, optionally, ramp rates.
      6. A Mini Remote button can be a controller of an responder or group of responders. You'll need to add the button as a controller of the buttons scene. not the button.

Thanks again Stu

1. by "turning the scene off", does it mean that the button controller will sets the linked-switches as off whatever state it is in? (for example, if the scene is to switch ON two dimmers, and later the day I press the scene button again when one of the dimmers is ON, another is OFF. What will pressing the "both ON" scene do? would it switch both lights off?)

Comment

Imagine the kpl as a normal switch except with more buttons. The capabilities are still the same. You turn on, off, dim (depending on devices). Software such as the ISY allows you to extend the capabilities and set your devices to work the way you envision.

Insteon devices send on/off commands. If a device is off it will turn on. If it is on it will stay on.

To answer your question directly, If your kpl is in default toggle mode and a light from a scene is turned off, you would either need to turn the scene off then back on or control that light independently. That is because the kpl would send the off command if it was last turned on. Systems such as the ISY can allow you to write rules allowing the approach you want.

For example my relax scene will turn off my kitchen and dinning room lights. If any of the switches from that particular scene changes state while the relax button is on, the the light will turn off. This allows me to hit that same button to set the scene back on the way I want

Comment

Originally posted by kfp22 View Post

Thanks again Stu

1. by "turning the scene off", does it mean that the button controller will sets the linked-switches as off whatever state it is in? (for example, if the scene is to switch ON two dimmers, and later the day I press the scene button again when one of the dimmers is ON, another is OFF. What will pressing the "both ON" scene do? would it switch both lights off?)
          If the button is in toggle mode (default), then it will send the opposite of the last signal when pressed. If the last press was On, the next press will send an Off. The button is unaware of the state of the linked devices.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys
            So..
            If it is on toggle mode, the scene will switch all linked devices to an opposite state from whatever it is currently on.
            If it is not on toggle mode, 1 press - the scene will send ON to all linked devices (for those which are already ON, stay ON), and press again - the scene will still send the same ON command (those that are ON stay ON, those they have been manually switched OFF, will become ON again)

Am I right?

Comment

Toggle mode means the button will send the opposite of the last push--push on, push off, push on, push off, etc.

Comment

What about non-toggle mode - is it true that it will always send an "ON" signal to all lights whatever the state is?

Comment

Yes, non-toggle sends the same signal on each push. Insteon devices are not aware of the state of devices they are linked to.

Comment

That's clear. Thanks Stu.

Comment

Working...
                    X