Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

make one of the scene buttons control the attached load?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

make one of the scene buttons control the attached load?

HI,

I have a couple of 6 button keypads in my kitchen. I would like to make the top/bottom ON/OFF buttons control all of the lights in the kitchen rather than just the attached load. And I would like to make one of the small buttons control the attached load.

It seems like this should be possible, but I can't seem to make it work. Note that I have the hub pro rather than the normal hub, so I need to do all of my programming using the set button.

What I tried was to hit the A button, then hold down the set button until it beeps/flashes green. Then I hit the main on button, and it gets a little fuzzy after that.

In fact, now the "A" scene button is always lit, and just flashes when I hit it again.

Can someone tell me the proper step-by-step method to get the scene A button to control the connected load?

Thanks a lot!
    --Carey

No, it's not possible You can get the A button to control the load, but you cannot prevent the On/Off button pair from controlling the load. A solution is to cap the load (red) wire and wire a Micro Module to the load. Then create a scene where any button of choice is a controller and the Micro Module is a responder.

You inadvertently placed the button in On-only mode. That is so easy to do if you do a lot of button pushing.

Hold the button until it begins to blink, about 6 sec. The KPL will beep. Release an hold the button a second time until the KPL beeps. Release and hold a third time until the blinking stops. Test the button. If it turns on and off with successive taps, then your done. If not, then repeat the three presses and holds.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
      No, it's not possible You can get the A button to control the load, but you cannot prevent the On/Off button pair from controlling the load. A solution is to cap the load (red) wire and wire a Micro Module to the load. Then create a scene where any button of choice is a controller and the Micro Module is a responder.

You inadvertently placed the button in On-only mode. That is so easy to do if you do a lot of button pushing.

Hold the button until it begins to blink, about 6 sec. The KPL will beep. Release an hold the button a second time until the KPL beeps. Release and hold a third time until the blinking stops. Test the button. If it turns on and off with successive taps, then your done. If not, then repeat the three presses and holds.
      Thanks a lot for the quick reply, Stu!

It's actually fine if I can just get the A button to control the load as well as the main button

The plan is:

- Main on/off button: control all of the lights in the room, including the attached load
      - A button: control just the attached load in order to give individual control over that light as well

So what I can't figure out is the set of presses to get the A button to also control the load. Next will be to get the main button to also control other switches (which seems more normal).

Thanks a lot!
      --Carey

Comment

Press and hold the A button until it beeps and starts blinkingg (about 10 seconds). Then press and hold the kpl "on" button for 10 seconds until i to dbl beeps and then it will be linked.

For making the main button all on and the off button all off, you will do the same process. Put the main button into linking mode, go to the switch you want linked and hold it's set button in until it beeps (make sure light is on).

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
          Press and hold the A button until it beeps and starts blinkingg (about 10 seconds). Then press and hold the kpl "on" button for 10 seconds until i to dbl beeps and then it will be linked.

For making the main button all on and the off button all off, you will do the same process. Put the main button into linking mode, go to the switch you want linked and hold it's set button in until it beeps (make sure light is on).

Awesome, thanks! I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Thanks again, got almost everything working the way i want it now. Man, that was a loy of button presses!

Comment

You're welcome. Software makes it much easier

Comment

Working...
              X