Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use a wireless thermostat to control an on/off micro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use a wireless thermostat to control an on/off micro?

I have to attic gable fans now insteon'd via a set of micro on/off switch modules.
    Could I use the Insteon Wireless Thermostat, and control them? What can or can't I control with the thermostat?

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to order the thermostat and give it a shot.

Comment

I use the wireless thermostat to control a fireplace. The only caveat is ti NOT link the wireless thermostat to a wired thermostat.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

So I have the wireless thermostat.
        I added it as a device to my HUB via the ios app.
        I tried to add either slave devices, or scenes, but I am unable to see the thermostat as a possibly item under a scene.

What's the trick?

Comment

Ok I'll try the manual link, thx.

Comment

I set this up with a manual link between the thermostat and two toggle links. Works great! Only flaw is for whatever reason every other week or so the toggle links fail. They loose connectivity to the hub. On top of that, manually toggling the switch does nothing. I have to trip the breaker to reset them. All three toggle links on two different circuits fail this way. They are on home runs to the electrical panel. The hub is at the panel. Total cable length is around 25'. Up two floors, across a few feet.

Comment

Once you create a link/scene between devices you should never lose that link. If manually turning the TolggleLinc on or off doesn't work reliably, then you have a loose connection or a defective device. Does the TogglLinc reliably control the device it's wired to?
              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

The link between the thermostat and devices has been rock solid. The ability to control the actual toggle links from the hub is what dies. When it does die, both toggle links are non responsive. What's strange, is you can NOT use the device locally. These are my first toggle links so I don't have other past experiences to share. I've never had this type of problem with a switch link, keypad, micro, wall module, etc. just the three toggle links.

Comment

If a device such as a ToggleLinc does not control the devices it's linked to then the problem can be the links or the devices. But if a device does not control the load that it's wired to, then the device is defective.

BTW, creating a scene using the Hub is has the identical result as creating a scene manually. The links between the devices are written to the devices themselves.

Comment

Re devices. They directly control the load, so indeed it's odd.
                    Re scenes. I figured as much however the end results seem reliable when they are made manually and not via a hub scene.

Comment

Working...
                    X