New thermostat - Pairing problems and changing display from C to F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New thermostat - Pairing problems and changing display from C to F

We moved recently, and decided to do another Insteon thermostat install in our new home. I was able to get a wired thermostat without too much trouble, but had a hard time finding a wireless one, and ended up buying from Insteon's official dealer in Australia, because it's all I could find - I'm in the United States.

The product numbers appeared identical, so I'm hoping my problems aren't a hardware incompatibility issue. I can't get the wireless thermostat to pair, after putting both the wired and wireless into pairing mode and seeing them display "1" on the LCD.

I'm also wondering if it's possible to switch the display from C to F.

Thanks!

ETA: Found another quickstart guide that had info on changing C to F, so that's working.
    Last edited by ClairelyClaire; 12-17-2021, 10:34 AM.

Look at the model number. The US ends in a -222. The AUS/NZ model ends in a -522 if my notes are correct.
    They are not using the same Insteon RF frequency. USA is 915MHz and AUS/NZ is 921MHz.
    That is why they will not talk to each other. Different RF frequencies between the US and AUS/NZ model.

Comment

I found a newer manual then the older 2441-ZTH Wireless thermostat
      The newer part number was 2732-232 for US and 2732-532 for the AUS/NZ wireless thermostat.
      The Insteon RF frequencies are the same. 915MHz for US and 921MHz for the AUS/NZ

Comment

Does this mean that it won't work with the hub, or with the wired thermostat?

I also can't get my wired thermostat to get into pairing mode at all - neither the wireless or wired ones beep twice after I press and hold until it beeps once and the LED blinks green. It just goes to the first scene after a moment. I've factory reset both multiple times.

Since Insteon no longer supports these, is there a way to make it run on the US frequency?

Comment

Negative. The RF frequencies are different, as BLH mentioned, due to regional restrictions, and both the wired and wireless thermostats are RF only devices. The AUS and US versions wont talk to each other. There was never a way to change that on the user side.

Comment

I take it the hub is a different frequency as well, then. Any ideas on how I might work around this? Maybe with something intermediate to translate the signal?

I can probably send it back, but the shipping cost adds up.

ETA: Also, I still can't get either thermostat into pairing mode. I don't think that depends on the hub frequency, does it? My wired thermostat SHOULD be a US model. This is what I got. (Also I just checked, it does have the FCC markings, rather than an EU or AU sticker over the FCC area.)
            Last edited by ClairelyClaire; 12-17-2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

From your Ebay link. The 2441TH wired thermostat is a US model. With the 915 MHz frequency.
              To work with each other. All the modules have to be from the same region RF wise.
              There are also HUB's made for different parts of the world.
              Look at all the modules you are trying to work with. That should give you a better idea of it working together. Like the HUB model number.
              You are right on the frequency should not effect going into the linking mode. Both as a controller or responder.
              There is no RF translator I have seen.

Comment

Sorry for necroing this thread - am I right to assume devices sold in Europe work on a separate frequency from NA/US? I found a few Spanish sellers with new old stock, but suspect it won't work.

Comment

Yes. Each area of the world. Has a frequency allowed in that country.
                  Only modules made for that area's frequency will work with each other.
                  You should still be able to find the modules in questions manual online and it should provide the different suffix in the part number and its frequency.
                  Some frequencies maybe used by more than one country. Like Australia and New Zealand are both using the same frequency.

Comment

Working...
                  X