No announcement yet.

Fan G circuit not energized when heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to measure the voltage from the wires connected to the thermostat, not the control board.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

You mean that you want the measurements taken at the wires as they come out of the thermostat or at the unit but before they go into the control board? While W, Y, and G are connected to the control board or disconnected? The connection to the board is all 5 wires in 1 plug-in connector, not spades nor screws. So it is not easy to disconnect individual wires W, Y, and G and leave R and C connected. What I did before was leave it all plugged in and measure from the back of the connector.

I may be able to pull individual contacts out of the connector and measure W, Y, and G voltages while not plugged into the control board (but R and C are), is that what you want? From the previous I think that I know that I would find the following:
      -When heating and Fan Auto: W = 23-24 VAC, Y = 0, G = 0
      -When heating and Fan Always On: W = 23-24 VAC, Y = 0, G = 23-24 VAC
      -When cooling, either setting: W = 0, Y = 23-24 VAC, G = 23-24 VAC
      Is that all that you need or are there other measurements that I should make?
      Last edited by adv; 12-12-2016, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Yes, that's the way to test the voltages, with only R and C connected you should get about 24VAC between G and C when calling for heating or cooling and the fan on auto.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I was able to pull the W, Y, and G contacts out and leave just the R and C connected. I tested and it was pretty much the same:
          -Not calling for heat: W = Y = G = 17.1 VAC
          -Calling for heat: W = 24.8 VAC, Y = 17.4 VAC, G = 17.0 VAC

So this thermostat is screwed, blued, and tattooed, right? The "switches" that control W, Y, and G are all "leaking" and G seems to be sometimes inoperative.

Comment

I just installed my 2nd Insteon thermostat and it works the same way. When the circuits are supposed to be off they read ~17 VAC. Could I have 2 thermostats that are bad or is this the way it is supposed to work?

Comment

Did I lose you, Stu?

Comment

Nope. I have no further recommendations.

Comment

Does it appear to you that these 2 thermostats are defective?

You wrote earlier that "All three of my 2441TH thermostats energize G (~24VAC) whether calling for heat or for cool, otherwise the voltage is 0 (zero)." Can you absolutely confirm that is true?

Comment

It'll take a day or two.

Comment

OK, thanks.

Comment

Checked and verified.

Comment

OK, that's really strange. And it is a 2441TH Wired Thermostat (NOT for heat pumps), right?

I was on the phone today twice with Insteon support. The second time I was on with the support "boss", Dominic. He told me that absolutely the G circuit was NOT supposed to energize when calling for heat. But, then again, he also said it wasn't supposed to energize when calling for cooling either and I have verified that it does.

Another interesting thing is that he measured the VAC in the W, Y, and G circuits of the test thermostat that he had at the lab while NOT calling for heat nor cooling and he was getting residual voltage too. His was about 16 VAC. He was surprised. So given that he did not know that and his mistake about the G circuit being energized when calling for cooling I am not going to put much weight on the info I got from the support line.

So it appears that the thermostat does not turn circuits ON and OFF but rather HIGH (~24 VAC) and LOW (~16-18 VAC) to signal for heat/cooling/fan or not. Both of the thermostats that I have here and the one in the lab did that so I would think it is unlikely that it all 3 are defective in exactly the same way. When a solid state switch goes it doesn't usually act like that, at least in my experience. Also, I get residual voltage of about the same on the contacts of my furnace so I am thinking this is an industry standard, or one of them, maybe. Any HVAC techs out there that could verify this is, in fact, the way some (all?) heating/cooling control systems signal?

Stu: Based on your testing I am going to get yet a 3rd 2441TH and hope that it energizes the G circuit when it calls for heating. Yay.

Comment

I tested with every wire disconnected from my HVAC except for 24VAC. Depending on your system, which seems to have unusual wiring, the result may be different with your HVAC connected.

Comment

You tested with just 1 wire connected to the HVAC or 2?

Comment

There's no power if only one wire is connected

Comment

Working...
                                X