Trouble Installing in 4 Wire Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble Installing in 4 Wire Setup

We have a gas furnace and central air controlled by single Honeywell thermostat. Current system uses Red, White, Yellow, and Blue (see pic).

Tried using the same four wires on the Insteon with the obvious positions and Insteon did not power up. (See pic.)

I'm thinking I may need the add-wire device but not certain because there unused wires in the harness (brown, green and orange) (see pic).

Also attached is image of wiring at furnace.

Please advise. Thank you. Steven

The thermostat requires power. Since you have extra wires you only need to connect one of the extra wires to the C terminal at the thermostat and at the HVAC control panel, usually located near the furnace. BTW, what was the blue wire connected to on the original thermostat?--colors are not always standard. I suspect that it was wired to G.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thank you. I do not understand this explanation. Did my photos show up? I do not see a "C" terminal on the Honeywell or the Insteon device. The blue wire on the Honeywell device was connected to "G" terminal so I did the same on the Insteon device, making the same assumption as you.

​Here are the pictures again. Please advise where the R, W, Y, B wires should be connected on the Insteon device. Thank you.

01.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

02.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

Something is amiss. At the thermostat the cable appears black and has 7 wires. At the panel the cable appear brown and has 5 wires. I don't see any markings for the terminals at the panel. Can you make out the letters? Do you have a voltmeter? Or the panel manual?

Also, the blue wire is connected improperly. It should wrap around the screw in a clockwise direction. And both the yellow/red and green/white are somewhat sloppy. Both easily corrected
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I am assuming the cable (brown then black) was spliced with another cable somewhere under the house on its run to the thermostat and they switched the green for blue. Be that as it may, how do I take the wire configuration shown on the Honeywell unit (which worked fine controlling the heating and air conditioning) and use it to install the Insteon.

Yes, I do have a multi-meter. I am far less concerned about the neatness of the wires on the screw at the panel at the moment.

​The working layout on the Honeywell unit should give clues about how to wire up the Insteon I would think.

Thank you.

Comment

#1. The neatness of the wires is less of a concern than the sloppiness of the connections may cause your HVAC to fail. thing happen. A mouse may become monumental.

You will need to identify each color at the thermostat with each color at the panel--the better solution is to find the junction. Was the thermostat relocated?

At the panel, the furthest left terminal (red wire only) and the furthest right terminal (green and white) seem to be power. What is the voltage between them. It is inportant that the wires be disconnected for an accurate reading.

The expected voltage is about 24VAC.

Comment

I do not have access (or the inclination) to crawl under my house and break open walls to trace that cable and potentially discover where it was spliced, etc.

The Honeywell thermostat was working perfect with only four wires: R W Y B attached to "R" (bridged to "RC"), "W", "Y" and "G" respectively. Given that known working configuration on the Honeywell unit, please answer these three questions for me:

(1) where I should attach those same wires on the Insteon unit?; and
              (2) If I need a 5th wire, which wire in the bundle shown, should I try next and where should I try it?
              (3) If I need to take voltage or continuity measurements of the wires in the bundle, what should I look for?

Thank you very much for your kind assistance.

Steven

Comment

1. The Insteon thermostat will not funtion without power.
                2. The only way to determine what to connect to what is to identify each wire at each end, the panel and the thermostat.
                3. Use an ohmeter to identify each wire. The supply voltage (usually R and C) should be about 24VAC.

Comment

1. Not disputed
                  ​2. Using the working Honeywell configuration, we should be able to draw reasonable conclusions about the function of at least four wires. Where do those four wires belong on the Insteon?
                  3. Using the Ohm meter, what resistance values should I be looking for and between which wires, and what will that tell us? Like I said, I am not tracing hundreds of feet of cable under my house or opening up walls just to come to conclusions which should be easily reached from an existing layout and/or testing the wires in that bundle near the existing thermostat.

Let's work from that end please.

Thank you very much for your kind assistance.

Steven

Comment

You haven't answered all my questions in post #4 and post #6.

Comment

I'm done.

Your questions seek information which is not pertinent to offering a practical solution to the problem I presented to you and it now appears you are just toying with me. This product (and this forum) are designed and intended to assist consumers, not contractors or electrical engineers. Shame on you. I asked narrowly tailored and direct questions about installing this product and they were ignored or sidestepped without any rational basis. So nevermind. I'm returning all my Insteon devices and giving a review on Amazon which conforms to my experience. Thank you..

Comment

That's your choice. Be that as it may, I am never ever willing to make assumptions about wiring no matter how obvious it may appear.

Comment

Since you could not find the needed connections due to wiring in an an hard to access to properly give you answers.
                          Maybe you did make the best choice.
                          Assuming a connection designation with out verifying it. Could have lead to damage to the heating equipment or the Insteon Thermostat. That I am sure would not be what you wanted to accomplish.

Comment

Working...
                          X