Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermostat works with existing two-zone system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermostat works with existing two-zone system?

I'm building a new house, and I'm asking the builder to replace the standard Honeywell 'stats with these Insteon stats. We already have a Hub, and we'd like to be able to adjust the temperature when we're on our way home from a vacation.

​The thing is, we're getting a two-zone system installed. Maybe I need to get the builder to give me more information in order to know if this is going to work, but I figured someone here might also know.

​From what I can find, it seems like most multi-zone setups have a "zone controller" that hooks up to standard thermostats. The stats don't need to know that they're in a multi-zone setup because they'll just report to the controller that they need air/heat like normal. This seems like the obvious way to build the system, but I'm having a hard time finding any confirmation that my assumption is right.

​Does anyone here use the wired Insteon stats with a Honeywell multi-zone setup? Is there anything important that I need to know?

That depends on which Honeywell zone controller is being installed. Some require that only a Honeywell thermostat be used, others don't. I'm using Insteon thermostats with a Honeywell zone-control board, but the one I'm using is older, so that won't help you.

Ask the installer if the board they're installing is compatible with a standard thermostat.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks! I'm asking my builder to be double-sure that we're not going to be surprised when we install these.

Comment

We have found out that the programming will not work with the Insteon thermostat when put in "emergency heat" mode which is the furnace. Only works with the heat pump.
        iPhone4s - iOS 7.1.2
        iPhone3 - "remote" IOS 6.1.6
        iPod
        Android tablet Version 4.0.4
        Hub II: 1F.66.64
        Firmware: 5679
        Bin: Hub2-V04-20140904
        PLM: 9D

2 ip cameras
        2 smoke detectors w/ smoke bridge
        1 Motion sensor
        3 keypad
        3 outlet
        4 wall switches
        1 garage door open close sensor

Comment

Have you looked at the model designed for Heat Pump use? Not sure if it can do what you need.

http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-273...heat-pump.html

Comment

Working...
          X