Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing an old 2-wire Radiator heat thermostat with new Insteon Wired Thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing an old 2-wire Radiator heat thermostat with new Insteon Wired Thermostat

I currently have a digital programmable thermostat in our house that is connected only to our radiant heat system and I just bought an Insteon thermostat to replace the old one with. The current thermostat has only two wires that appear to connect to 'W' and 'RH' and then there is a short jumper wire connecting 'RH' and 'RC'. Can anyone tell me if there are any problems in connecting the Insteon thermostat to a 2-wire system and whether I also need to connect a jumper in the new Insteon thermostat in the same way that the old thermostat is?

​Thanks!

Remove, but do not disconnect, the old thermostat. Inspect the cable. Is there another wire that is folded back or cut off?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

As far as I can tell, there is not. Here is a picture of what I'm dealing with...
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

If there are only those two wires, then you will need an external power supply in order to use the Insteon thermostat.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

There is a Venstar Two Wire Heat only adapter you maybe able to use.
          It will supply the needed power and has an isolation relay to turn On and Off the W and RH terminals.
          http://www.smarthome.com/venstar-the...-only-kit.html

Comment

Thanks stusviews and BLH. Since I know for a fact that I won't want an external power supply running to my thermostat in the location that it is in and the Insteon thermostat likely won't work without it, I guess I'll be returning the thermostat. Yet another reason, I wish I hadn't bought a 100 year old house with old wiring...

Comment

Well many houses, like mine, with heat only controls. Have a two wire RH and W only wire connection. I have an added unused wire in the cable but the furnace controls just have two T connections and no optional C power connection.

Comment

Working...
              X