Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wired thermostat with split A/C

Hi Guys..
    in my country we don't have central HVACs due to lack of electricity so we use split A/C in each separate room.
    i would like to control one of the A/Cs (master bedroom) with a wired thermostat.
    what i figured s far is to connect the thermostat with a 24 volt to supply power and a contractor that pass electricity to the A/C when energised on the condition that the A/C has auto restart (which likely i have) so i just need to set the A/C remote at the present temp.. and the instead thermostat would be responsible to turn off and on the A/C according to the room temp.
    the MAIN question is which of the thermostat wires do i connect to the contractor to achieve this? one to the COM and the second to which of the following: W1,W2,G,Y1,Y2 ???

You would need three connections.
    One side of the 24 VAC control transformer . Connected to one of the contactor 24 VAC coil connections and the (C) 24V COM of the thermostat.
    The other side of the 24 VAC control transformer to the (R) 24V RH of the thermostat..
    For cooling (Y1) AC Compressor Stage 1 to the other coil connection on the contactor.
    If you are using a prewired controller and only have two T connections. The thermostat will have no power and not work.
    What voltage is your countries power? There are some modules for heating and cooling use. That have the transformer and relays in it. With the needed three C, R and W/C connections. Along with switched AC for the load. That just need wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
      You would need three connections.
      One side of the 24 VAC control transformer . Connected to one of the contactor 24 VAC coil connections and the (C) 24V COM of the thermostat.
      The other side of the 24 VAC control transformer to the (R) 24V RH of the thermostat..
      For cooling (Y1) AC Compressor Stage 1 to the other coil connection on the contactor.
      If you are using a prewired controller and only have two T connections. The thermostat will have no power and not work.
      What voltage is your countries power? There are some modules for heating and cooling use. That have the transformer and relays in it. With the needed three C, R and W/C connections. Along with switched AC for the load. That just need wiring.
      well my country uses 220v/50hz but i don't have central air conditioning like u guys have.. i have the LG inverter split A/C installed..
      ok.. so the your first point is the one i already got figured out. but is the Y1 the cable that turns off and on the contractor or the G (FAN) because i would like to be able to turn on and off the contractor (the A/C via insteon) according to the temp. of the room from the insteon thermostat
      PS i will mostly be needing the A/C for cooling.

Comment

I am not an AC type either.
        Y1 normally controls the AC Compressor that is turned On when it is too warm for the cool setting.
        The G turns On the fan and I believe how the fan is controlled can be set to different ways it is controlled. So I can't answer much more than I have already.
        The thermostat needs both C and R to supply power to it. The outputs connect to the R when the output is On. Like compressor On would connect Y1 to R and Fan would be G to R.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
          I am not an AC type either.
          Y1 normally controls the AC Compressor that is turned On when it is too warm for the cool setting.
          The G turns On the fan and I believe how the fan is controlled can be set to different ways it is controlled. So I can't answer much more than I have already.
          The thermostat needs both C and R to supply power to it. The outputs connect to the R when the output is On. Like compressor On would connect Y1 to R and Fan would be G to R.
          so i would rather connect the contractor to G which the fan since i have the option to choose auto and let the thermostat turn the A/C on or off according to the room temp. or press always so i can control it manually form the poem remote of the A/C or of ..while if i connect to the Y1 i wold loose the (always) option..
          please correct me if i am wrong!

Comment

If you want to remotely control a split A/C, then you can use a wired or wireless Insteon thermostat. Nothing connects to the terminals because you don't have access to the split A/C built in thermostat. Is the split A/C 120 or 240 volts? Which country are you in?
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
            Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
              If you want to remotely control a split A/C, then you can use a wired or wireless Insteon thermostat. Nothing connects to the terminals because you don't have access to the split A/C built in thermostat. Is the split A/C 120 or 240 volts? Which country are you in?
              room temp is taken from the insteon thermostat.(i.e.: if the room temp is high, then it will turn on the the G wire with turn energise the contractor to supply 220v t the split A/C). i live in lebanon and our electricity is 220v/50hz.

Comment

Does the contactor you mentioned have a 24 VAC coil and contacts rated at 220 volts capable of switching the current for the split A/C plus 50%?
                Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

If you use the G {Fan} output. It may not have the five minute short cycle timer the Y1 Compressor one has. So be careful you do not short cycle the unit.

Comment

You need to take water hose with a good nozzle a shut the power off at disconnect or breaker... Then clean the out side unit coil as clean as you can. Let the unit set for 10 mins. then turn back on and let it run. Hope this help you..
                    inverterreview.com

Comment

Working...
                    X