RC / RH wiring to INSTEON 2441TH Thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC / RH wiring to INSTEON 2441TH Thermostat

I am interested in installing an Insteon 2441TH thermostat in my home.
    My old thermostat has the RC / RH wires that are not jumped.
    I have done lots of research on the web about this and I'm looking for clarification if I can rewire this system to work with the existing wires.
    The wires at the thermostat are as follows:
    Green - G
    Red - RC
    Black - RH
    Black - W
    Blue - Y

The heating and cooling are on 2 different transformers, which are in very close proximity to each other. (2 or 3")
    Is it possible to rewire this system at the HVAC to work with the insteon controller considering there are 5 wires?
    Maybe make one of the RC or Rh into a common wire?

img_20150225_173313.jpg
    img_20150226_074055.jpg img_20150226_074114.jpg
    img_20150226_074044.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gjc; 02-26-2015, 01:40 PM.

Yes, you can make the Rc or Rh into a common wire. You will need to eliminate one transformer. It shouldn't matter which one.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

OK, have you seen those specific transformers before, is there a guide on how to do this.

Comment

Identify each wire at each end. Describe what each wire currently connects to. Most of the connections will have a letter. What is the model of the Honeywell panel? The other panel that starts with 57-01V1?
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I have taken some better pics and was able to identify some letters on one of the transformers.

img_20150226_162631.jpg

The top row is Y - G - W (nothing attached to W)
          Bottom Row C - R.

The red and black wire on the left side go outside, which I believe leads to the air conditioner.
          The blue, green, and red wires going downward all go into the wall which I assume lead upstairs to the thermostat.
          The two black on the left go into an electrical box behind the transformer, then looks like it leads towards a fan controller. Maybe?

On the transformer below for the furnace, you can barely see two black wires on the top two terminals, these also go into the wall up to the thermostat.
          With these two wires that makes it 5 at the thermostat and all colours match up.

I also included a better shot of the other transformer model number, which is 57-01V18BC4E231 27740.
          I think this is starting to make a little sense.

img_20150226_162511.jpg

rsz_img_20150226_162704.jpg
          Attached Files

Comment

The Honeywell Protectorelay contains two safety switches that cannot be bypassed, so that would have to be the 24VAC power source. If a common is available, then you would need three wires between the thermostat and oil burner panel.

But, the Honewell panel schematic does not show any voltages. What is the voltage between the bottom F terminal and the top T terminal?

Comment

Showing 24V between the top and bottom. Are you saying that I will need more than 5 wires? What I need to know here, is if it is possible to do the installation, then I will go ahead and order the unit and we can make it work. Would it make sense to install the main unit in the furnace room, then I can run as many wires as needed and then put a secondary 2441ZTH upstairs where the thermostat is now?

Comment

Disconnect the red wire (R) from the AC transformer. Disconnect the top black wire (T) from the heating panel. Run a jumper from the top T terminal to C on the AC transformer. Connect the disconnected red wire to the bottom F on the heating panel.

Does the AC function? (heating won't)

Comment

Cant test the AC, its under 3 feet of snow up here in Northern Canada.

Comment

But I see what you're saying. I'm gonna go ahead and order the units. If they don't work, I will resell them.

Comment

The thermostats will still be available when you can run the test

Comment

Working...
                      X