Thermostat constantly reboots when Heat set point reached

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermostat constantly reboots when Heat set point reached

Just installed a wired Insteon thermostat. It works fine for AC and I can set the fan to "Always" just fine. But in Heat mode, when the heat setpoint is reached, the furnace does not come on. On the thermostat, the screen goes blank, then starts up again (all LCD segments display momentarily, then the current temp, time and humidity display), then goes blank, etc. -- It appears the thermostat is rebooting over and over again. The furnace is a single stage, forced-air gas furnace -- nothing special. I checked and rechecked the wiring -- seems correct and as I said, the AC works fine.

Ideas appreciated.

john

I seem to have a similar issue. this one 'reboots' (screen goes totally blank) during active HEATING. At least that's the only time i've caught it happening. but saw it more than once. right now it's under 20F outside so no comment on the cooling side. when it "comes back" the screen is backlite for a bit and then normal LCD display?? but will go blank again in a few minutes if still heating.
    Wiring is correct, voltage is about 28v

Comment

I have the same problem, in heat mode the thermostat is restarting 3 or 4 times and then starts to work but sometime is moving to the next mode, for instance is moving from heat to cool or from auto to off.

Comment

Is there anyone out there that has a thermostat that works good? If so, what is different about the working one and the non working ones? I would like to get one but i hear they are dumber than my current programmable one. also you can not set scenes up... anyone with good luck?

Comment

I have two wired and four wireless Insteon thermostats. One wireless thermostat operates independently of our 2-zone HVAC. All the thermostats function as they should. The wired thermostats are also controlled by remotes.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Was anyone able to resolve this? I have been through two thermostats and I have the same experience. My older thermostat (without a C wire) works just fine. The insteon thermostat works fine on A/C and the fan but as soon as the the heat set point is reached, the thermostat reboots and enters into a boot cycle. If I disconnect the W1 wire, the problem goes away but of course the furnace never comes on.

Comment

I have seen message threads where the heating relay caused enough noise on the 24 volt power to cause the unit to reboot.
              I believe some one used a small filter on the 24 volt supply to correct it.
              At the moment I don't remember if the thread was here or on the Smarthome forums and UDI forums.

Comment

I am having similar issue. When changing state to "heating", the Termostat seems like reeboting setting it's wanted temperature to 02...which means that stops even heating.
                Did anyone fixed this issue?

Comment

I had this issue briefly when I had the power wires reversed by accident - when the heat would come on it was causing a short which then caused the unit to reboot.

Comment

Has anyone found a solution to this? I have a 2441TH wired thermostat that has been working great on AC. I tried to switch it to heat tonight and it just keeps rebooting. This is the second 2441TH that I have used - Smarthome replaced the first one for the same issue. I am assuming I have a wiring issue and not 2 defective units. Any words of advice?

Comment

Rebooting? Do you mean that the thermostat powers down (goes dark) and the turns back on? If so, which mode is it in when it powers back on? Describe the wiring.
                      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I'm also experiencing this. Here's a video of it happening: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9z0b8oebco...%20PM.mov?dl=0

Sometimes as soon as I close the lid, it starts flickering. Other times, it fully boots and is operable. This time I recorded it, it booted up, then started to reboot shortly thereafter.

Comment

A follow-up to my last post: I ran down to Home Depot and picked up a different brand of smart thermostat and it works just fine. Looks like the Insteon thermostat is the problem. When I tested my voltage, it was around 27v, which is similar to what was previously reported by `shoofly pie`. My theory (disclaimer: I don't know much about this stuff, so I'm just theorizing) is that these Insteon thermostats just aren't robust enough to handle anything but the optimal scenario. (Walking through troubleshooting steps with Insteon support, we tried unplugging everything except for the power cables and the problem persisted.)

I would love to see this get fixed, but for now, the Insteon thermostat is going into the pile of other devices that have simply stopped working, or never been reliable since day 1, including a motion sensor, wifi camera, and garage door sensor. Grr...

Comment

After having 2441TH working fine the first year winter through summer, on the second winter I started having same issues as described above. Some things that I noticed:
                            its a certain temp level that causes reboot. ie 72>73 caused reboot. 70>71 or even 71>72 does not.
                            I also measured the voltage and during normal work it is 27V.
                            Additionally I measured the voltage as soon as thermostat shuts down by opening it and sticking voltmeter in. There is _NO_ power for 60 seconds during that time.
                            I also set near the furnace with voltmeter plugged into C/R and saw it going from 27 to 0 when the furnace shuts down. So the power shuts down at the furnace... Exactly 60 seconds later it comes back.
                            So, I am really confused now if its the furnace or indeed the thermostat that is the problem. I plan to pickup a honeywell at HD to test with it.

The fact that a) no power at furnace b) 27v is constant in normal condition leads me to believe that adding a filter might not help...
                            Anyone has any other ideas?

Comment

Found this description that matches perfectly:
                              Display goes blank during heating – most likely the furnace is tripping on high limit or some other
                              safety limit. The furnace will shut off the burners AND break the R leg to the thermostat, so the
                              thermostat has no power and will go blank. Solution – identify the cause of the limit trips.

Also tried honeywell smart thermostat - same issue

Comment

Working...
                              X