Replacing 4-Wire Thermostat with Green, Red, Blue & White Wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing 4-Wire Thermostat with Green, Red, Blue & White Wires

I just purchased the wired version of the Insteon Thermostat and have an installation question. My existing wiring is only four wires: green, red, blue and white. The current thermostat is Indiglo 43154A and the HVAC is Trane 4TCY-IG-8 Single packaged, cooling with electric heat.

I attached a picture of the current wiring and am confused about how to wire existing wires to the new Insteon thermostat. The existing thermostat has a red jumper wire on RC and RH and a red wire going into RC.

Here is the current wiring scheme:

Green Wire --> G
    Red Wire --> RC (RC and RH using a red jumper)
    Blue Wire --> Y/O
    White Wire --> W/B
    Nothing --> Y1

I also understand that there is an accessory on smarthome.com to convert 4 wire systems into 5 without having to run a wire from the system board. If that is required, please let me know and how to wire it.

I tested with a voltage tester and G RC and RH blink / beep on the wire tester. RC and RH seem to have more juice. Does that mean I have a C Wire?

Thanks in advance.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by hamada; 08-03-2014, 11:46 AM.

You do not have a C wire. What you need is an
    Add-a-Wire Kit
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
      You do not have a C wire. What you need is an
      Add-a-Wire Kit
      That's what I thought. Thanks for the info and the prompt reply. I will buy it today and get back on the forum with any further questions.

Comment

Working...
      X