Heat only Wiring Question / Replacing honeywell battery thermo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat only Wiring Question / Replacing honeywell battery thermo

Hello all, I have a Wired Insteon thermo that I would like to replace my current Honeywell battery powered themo...

I have a boiler / no tank > Hot Water radiant heat (not a heat pump)

Currently my wiring situation:
    5 Wires in the wall
    Behind current thermo plate I have a Red and White wire attached to R and W...These two wires I have traced to my basement where they are pigtailed to a cable that is coming from the boiler, inside the boiler the red wire is attached to a connector that shares a much thicker red wire to something else inside, the white wire is connected to a single connector on the same control unit.

I also have a honeywell 24v transformer in the basement where the 5 wire cable ends...that has 2 terminals on it R and C, these are both hooked to Green and Yellow cables of the 5, the blue wire in the 5 line is not used.

From what I gather from reading that 24V transformer R is Hot and C is Common/Neutral (also above R terminal/post is say "Load")

My question is Can I use Red and White from Boiler to the termo 24R and W1, then connect my 24V C line from the transformer to the thermo on 24COM? Leaving the 24V R post / wire unused from the transformer?

Or should I connect both from the transformer C to 24COM and R to 24R on the thermo and only use the white wire from the boiler to the W1 on the thermo?

Just don't want to mess up any of the boiler boards, I care less about possible thermo damage if I am wrong.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

-Derek

Anyone else that may have a similar scenario...I was able to get it working, below is what I did.

I found I could not use my stand alone 24v transformer, What I had to do was take my Red Wire > 24H | White to W1 | But since I did not have a 24COM wire (except from the external transformer) I had to open up my boiler / furnace (gas) and tracked down where the Red and White where going from the thermo wiring...From there I found a Blue common wire on that transformer internally and used a new piece of wire to go from that to my 5 wire setup in the wall and pigtail it... That allowed me to extend my common from inside my unit to the thermo.

Once I did this everything worked great.

FYI, my unit Red wire was producing 26V on my multi-meter, so I called insteon support first and asked if what I was doing would be ok on the thermo since it was rated @ 24V and not 26V... they checked and confirmed that 24V is just the minimum but can be higher without causing any issues. The transformer plate inside was stamped 25V @ 40AMP... but read @ 26V.

Comment

Most of those transformers put out a higher voltage because of voltage drop that will occur once you add the length of the thermostat wires to the circuit. Your reading is normal.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveL View Post
        Most of those transformers put out a higher voltage because of voltage drop that will occur once you add the length of the thermostat wires to the circuit. Your reading is normal.
        Good to know thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X