open/close sensor stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

open/close sensor stopped working

Has anyone had an open/close sensor fail?

I have model 2843-222 with a label inside that reads 4114REV 1.B 32.3B.D3. It worked great for a couple of days, but then I noticed that it had stopped responding. I have tried several different batteries and tried resetting the device according to the manual, but I can't get the LED to light.

Is there anything else I should try before getting a new sensor?

Sorry for the late reply. I'm using the device with an Insteon Hub and the Insteon app for Android. I did end up getting the open/close sensor to reset and it started responding again.

I am still having an issue with the sensor needing a reset after anywhere from a few days to a week or two. I'll notice that I didn't get an alert when I get home from work and will check the sensor. Pressing the button on the unit won't light the LED and I'll need to perform a reset to get it working again. Battery voltage tests okay. I suppose it's possible that there's a bad trace and that the vibration from closing the door is making/breaking contact. I'm also wondering about wireless interference causing the device to lock up, I do have quite a few neighbors with WiFi routers, cordless phones, etc.

Comment

Insteon doesn't use the WiFi band nor the band(s) that most cordless phone use. Some older 900 Mhz phones and baby monitors may interfere.

How did you test the battery? A voltmeter is NOT a good tester as it doesn't place a load on the battery. Which LED do you mean, the LED on the Open/Close sensor or an Insteon LED bulb?
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Yes, I did test the battery with a cheap voltmeter. It was the LED on the open/close sensor itself that wasn't coming on

I haven't had a problem with this sensor in several weeks, so I'm not sure what the issue was. I just checked to confirm and the AA battery I originally installed is still there.

I have installed two additional open/close sensors recently, so I'll just wait and see if the problem returns.

Comment

The least expensive voltmeter is adequate for an Insteon installation including HVAC. But, even the most costly voltmeter isn't satisfactory as a batter tester.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
          X