Fastest way to control lights with motion sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fastest way to control lights with motion sensors

I've currently got SmartThings motion sensors and GE Z-wave switches in my house. I have smart things configured to turn on lights when motion is detected, but it takes 1-2 seconds to happen.

I find myself walking into a room and stopping for a second to wait for the light to turn on. Honestly it seems to defeat the purpose if I have to stop and wait. I've reverted to just flipping the switch on myself and letting SmartThings only handle turning the lights off later.

What part of my system is slow? Is it the sensors, SmartThings, or the switches?

Is there a way to get a more responsive setup? I'd be willing to replace most equipment, but I'd still like to keep things integrated with SmartThings if possible.

rapidfs
    Last edited by Wisozkb; 09-19-2021, 09:55 PM.

This is an inspection not Smartthings forum. You need to ask your question on the Smartthings forum

Comment

To Lilyoyos1's point this is for Insteon lighting which is a proprietary protocol, not SmartThings which is based on the Z-Wave protocol, and Zig-bee.

As far as I know, the SmartThings hub handles the routing for the device links for that protocol. Basically you walk into the room, the motion sensor sends a RF signal to the SmartThings Hub, which then turns around and sends another RF signal to your GE light switch. 1-2 seconds is normal for them but I agree its not efficient.

Insteon devices store all these links in their own memory so it removes that delay, even when turning on hundreds of devices at one time. The problem is that they are out-of-stock of the motion sensors, among other things, and haven't let us know when they will be back in.

Comment

Working...
      X