Using an Open/Close sensor to turn on the lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using an Open/Close sensor to turn on the lights

I'm trying to understand the relationship between open/close sensors and their ability to turn on the lights in a room. I set up a scene whereby when the front door is open, the lights will turn on in the kitchen. While this does work the second the door closes the lights turn off. Is there a work around? Thanks guys!

I'm having the exact same "problem" (recognize that others desire this behavior). I just got off the phone with Insteon Support who said that what you described is the only option. However, I have read other posts where users have gotten it to work...but no luck for me either. It seems like it could work if you could tie the Open/Close Sensor and it's 'state" to a scene then it would work to turn the light on in an open state and turn the light on in a close state thus leaving the light on when you enter a room.

Comment

I had wondered if it was possible to "calibrate" the sensor open. So like you said it would esstentailly switch the operation, creating a one time switch.

The other option I had considered was what you had mentioned using the switch as a trigger for a scene which triggers another scene. So even though the door switch triggers the first scene off the second scene stays on as it is not tied directly to the door open/close. but it seems overly complicated for what we are trying to do and I'm assuming there has to be a better way.

Comment

The Open/Close FW sends On when opened and Off when closed so when you link it in a scene that is how it will react. For what you are describing you should be using the 2844-222 motion sensor but you can get around it if you have a controller like the ISY. You would write a simple program in the ISY that states:

If Door sensor is opened:

Then Turn light on
        Wait 5 minutes (or whatever you need)
        Turn Light Off

Comment

Sean is correct. Insteon devices by themselves only send on/off commands. You would need an insteon manager such as the ISY which allows for conditional programming.

Comment

thanks for the help. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good writeup on setting up isy?

Comment

Maybe start with their Wiki http://wiki.universal-devices.com/in...itle=Main_Page

and You Tube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/universaldevicesinc

Comment

I would also recommend joining their forums. Forum.universal-devices.com

Comment

Answering to Dogmoo "I had wondered if it was possible to "calibrate" the sensor open. So like you said it would esstentailly switch the operation, creating a one time switch."

You could do it using Stringify app.

Comment

Instruction manual (http://cache.insteon.com/documentati...-222-en-v3.pdf) for v1.9 and later clearly states you can set up the sensor in multi-scene mode but it does not work and as the OP mentioned Insteon support tells me it is not supported.

Comment

The manual indicates that the multi-scene is enabled through software. On page 7 of the manual.
                      Are you using any software, HUB or ISY994i to set the open/closed sensor to multi-scene?

The manual was released on 05/06/2015. So it maybe possible there where more recent updates and the manual has not followed

Does your still have the 2 pin jumper in it?
                      Last edited by BLH; 08-22-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X