No Explaination of Occupancy Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Explaination of Occupancy Mode

Checked the manual and I have not been able to find what Occupancy Mode means in the settings.

Ordinarily, the motion sensor sends an On signal when it first detects motion, then an Off signal when motion stops and the timer expires. If further motion is detected while the timer is running, no signals are sent, the timer is simply restarted. When Occupancy Mode is turned on, if further motion is detected while the timer is running, another On signal is transmitted. The additional signals shorten battery life but allow your home automation software or ISY to better track the level of activity in a space.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

So what does on Only mean? Also I have tried the night only mode, and with the light sensitivity set to really high and low, and neither work. The motion detector continues to activate the light in the middle of the day.

Comment

If the MS is set for On-only, then the MS will send an on signal when motion is detected, but it will not send an off. That is, the timer is bypassed.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

No offense intended to the moderators, but where is the documentation that explains both of kyderr's questions? I had the same issues and looked and looked.
            For Occupancy Mode I would have thought it to work the other way as to filter out movement since the area would be "occupied"

And for On Only - how does it get reset? (Does one need to remove the battery?

Comment

Not all devices include definitions of all the terms used. In occupancy mode, the MS sends an On each time motion is detected. Otherwise an On is sent only once during the timeout duration. In either case, the timer is restarted each time motion is detected.

There is no need to reset the MS. It's not like a switch that remains on until it's turned off. The MS sends an On signal and then awaits motion. If the MS is set to On only, then it never sends an Off. Something else is needed to send an Off signal, such as a program.

Edit: the moderators are inoffendable
              Last edited by stusviews; 01-05-2015, 06:59 PM.
              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Thanks
                I am extremely surprised at the lack of documentation to explain all the terms used for available settings of a device.
                it is very frustrating going through assumption and trial & error, just to maybe figure it out.

Comment

Great answer but you didn't answer the motion sensor not detecting light. Mine go on in daylight and night,I have tried all settings no help, do you have any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by kyderr View Post
                    Checked the manual and I have not been able to find what Occupancy Mode means in the settings.
                    I agree. Insteon are NOT doing a good enough job explaining what Occupancy mode means? No where to be found in their instruction manual?
                    Of all the insteon devices I have , I have the hardest time setting up these motion sensors? I am spending hours on end sometimes scratching my head???

My BIGGEST question is this , Do we use the jumpers located in the back of the MS or the app on our phones or can we use both ?
                    Also, Jumper # 5- Remote software management? What is this? Remote management from your iphone or other insteon software?
                    I also have an issue with night only mode? I have moved jumper # 3 on both pins like instructed AND I have night only mode checked off in green with the app on my iphone and still motion is detected in the daytime and my lights turn on??? The motion sensor is 3 feet from a 6 foot sliding glass door? How can it be night time at 12 pm with the sun shining?
                    I truly think alot of these units are hit and miss. I have two of them and they both work totally different and have a mind of their own? Made in China with poor quality control? Guess we better get used to the world ahead of us? Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Jumpers or App or both????

Comment

It's not practical to include the definition of every word that has an established meaning in a set of instructions. For example, line, neutral and load are discussed, but not defined. And what is phase?

In general, occupancy mode refers to the condition under which motion is to be sensed. Occupancy mode includes, among others, living rooms, classrooms, convention meeting halls, any place likly to be occupied by persons.

Having a motion sensor turn on outside lights is not considered occupancy mode.

Jumper 5 is installed when any remote management is used. All settings are controlled by the software and the other jumpers have no effect (except jumper 1).

Comment

Working...
                      X