Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motion Sensor Model #2420M/2842-2 failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion Sensor Model #2420M/2842-2 failure?

After replacing the 9V battery, sensor no longer triggered wall switch (SwitchLinc 2477Sxx) via RF extender (2992-222). I re-linked it (seemed to succeed) but it later failed as follows: pressing the set button (or motion in the dark) caused a single red flash followed by rapid flashing. According to instructions this means that motion sensor was not "communicating" with extender even though lights were flashing on the extender as if it was. I then successfully unlinked the sensor from the SwitchLinc then re-linked it and everything worked. Until it didn't again so I tried unsuccessfully to unlink again. I then tried unsuccessfully to do a factory reset (no beep). Dead sensor?

If the sensor is bad, what are my options? This is used outdoors and it appears that the motion sensor II replacement is unreliable and indoor only.

Comment

Smarthome has the 2442-222 in stock (at least as of right now 10/18/21 10:56AM)

You could attach the micro modules sense wire to the output of a non-Insteon motion sensor and use it as a trigger for the switch. Just make sure you get a motion sensor that is rated for outdoors and has documentation to help you ID the correct output terminal/wire.

Just link the micro module to the switch while both are in the On state.

Comment

I have a similar problem. My motion sensor 2 is no longer sending out sensor on signals. I replaced the battery and re-linked the device directly to an insteon switch. Stange thing is that when i press the set switch it does send out a signal but wont when it sense motion. The green lite does flash though. What can i do to fix this?

Comment

Did you make sure that the switch was On when you re-linked them? If you linked it while the switch was off the switch will think you want it to go to the off state when the motion sensor triggers.

I want to say that you shouldn't need to re-link a sensor after a battery change but I might be wrong.

Comment

Yes, the switch was on when i re-linked it. But the problem is that the motion sensor isnt broadcasting a trigger at all. But if you press the set button it does. Not sure what happened?

Comment

That is odd. Have you tried factory resetting the motion sensor?

Unplug the battery
              Press and hold the set button
              While holding the set button, plug the battery back in.
              Continue to hold the set button for ~10-12 seconds and let go.

The process shouldn't remove the links, but you can try relinking and testing again if it does. You might also try linking the motion sensor to another Insteon device just to rule out the switch, but I doubt that is the issue.

If this doesn't work the sensor has probably gone bad. Smarthome/Insteon might have a warranty/refurb unit laying around (2844-222R) if its within the two years.

Comment

Ok, after several resets it is now sending a trigger on motion detection! Thanks very much for the help.

Next challenge, it is sending an end of motion after 1 minute no matter what i set the timeout to. I have sensing mode set to only after timeout. Any ideas how to fix this?

Comment

When you set that setting in the app, the app will ask you to put the sensor into linking mode. Is that happening? …and if it does, do you hear a double beep from the motion sensor when the app says it is complete?

If not, maybe put the motion sensor into extended linking mode (press and hold the set button for three seconds, then tap the set button once) then go to the app and make the setting change for the timeout.

Comment

thanks but i tried both of these and no luck. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                    X