Only Turns On Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only Turns On Light

I have two hidden door sensors that were working fine up until yesterday. One of them now only turns On the light (responder), but doesn't turn off the light. I also run HomeSeer and have observed that on the working sensor (does both on and off), there is a property called "Door Sensor Closed Only" that is off. On the non-working sensor (on only), that property currently shows On. My suspicion is that this is the root of my problem, however, I can't find any documentation (HomeSeer or Insteon) on how to change it back to Off. HomeSeer doesn't provide any action buttons (On, Off, Reset, etc), so I'm thinking this is something that has to be done locally on the device, but the manual doesn't say anything about the option.

If this is a new sensor, that ability is software based so you may want to ask on the homeseer fittings how to turn it off. A factory reset on the sensor should put it back on normal more as well

Comment

I tried a factory reset twice and the setting didn't turn off. I know the interaction (the sensor controlling the load on the switch) is not reliant upon HomeSeer as it will operate even when HomeSeer is offline. HomeSeer doesn't offer me any action buttons to control the setting like On, Off, Reset, etc. Those options are also not in the Insteon plug-in, although the plug-in seems to show the Closed Only channel as being part of the device itself.

Comment

I got it working and wanted to provide my solution in case someone else run into this issue. It's still a mystery how the closed only setting got enabled in the first place, though, considering the HomeSeer Insteon plug-in does not offer the ability to change it.

I tried a factory reset and reprogram (via the HomeSeer plug-in) multiple times to no avail. Finally, what I decided to do is manually link the devices with the set button (outside HomeSeer). I factory reset both the sensor and the wall switch then linked them and the open/close on/off worked perfectly. Then, I did a reprogram within the plug-in and the on-only behavior returned. So, I knew it was something being done by HS or the plug-in. I deleted both devices out of the plug-in and factory reset again. Linked manually then re-added the devices to the plug-in (then re-added the switch to my group). The Closed Only channel now showed Off and the open/close on/off is still working.

It seems to me that the plug-in was setting the Closed Only channel on the device during the reprogram operation even though the plug-in provides no actions buttons to set on/off on that channel. Really weird because I have no idea how it got turned on in the first place.

Comment

Working...
        X