Old On/Off Module Strangeness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old On/Off Module Strangeness

I have a 2456S3, V 4.5, probably ancient. It has worked well up till now, but it has developed a "strangeness." It no longer responds to any controller, i.e., it does not control its load remotely. It does, however, control it locally. It won't ping from HomeSeer. But if I turn it on from the HS device screen, it shows "ON." (But the device doesn't turn on). Then if I "poll" it, it shows "OFF" again. So somehow, the PLM is detecting that the device is, in fact, off, and its status display changes accordingly (to OFF).

So is this another comm problem between the PLM and the module? Somehow I don't think so, but I also don't think it's a problem with the device itself. I don't know WHAT it is! That's why I'm here!
    Jim Speiser
    Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

It maybe failing. I have both the original V1.3 and later V4.? hardware get flaky.
    Could be the power supply in it is starting to go bad. The 470uF/35V capacitor maybe getting weak. That would effect the voltage logic and power used for the power line transmitter-receiver. I have rebuilt a few of them with a new capacitor.

You could try moving it close to the PLM and see if it reacts differently to test for communications issues. As it is a power line only model.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
      It maybe failing. I have both the original V1.3 and later V4.? hardware get flaky.
      Could be the power supply in it is starting to go bad. The 470uF/35V capacitor maybe getting weak. That would effect the voltage logic and power used for the power line transmitter-receiver. I have rebuilt a few of them with a new capacitor.

You could try moving it close to the PLM and see if it reacts differently to test for communications issues. As it is a power line only model.
      Well, a factory reset cured it, BUT...as soon as I got it working again, another module failed. And prior to this one I had a motion sensor "fail", but it was cured by deleting it and re-installing it.

Bottom line: I suspect I may have a failing PLM! It's making it look like modules are failing, but it's really the culprit!
      Jim Speiser
      Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

Comment

If the PLM is a 2413S or 2413U and it is over two years old. It could have a power supply issue.
        One symptom is the Link Database gets corrupt or it is almost empty.
        Another symptom was LED and PLM dead. Unplug it for awhile and power it back up. It would then work for a short time.

There is a very long thread over on the UDI Forums. On the issue and how many of us with soldering skills. Have replaced the capacitors with ones designed for switching power supply use.
        I have seen indications that the latest revision PLM has been updated and hopefully the power supply is improved.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
          If the PLM is a 2413S or 2413U and it is over two years old. It could have a power supply issue.
          One symptom is the Link Database gets corrupt or it is almost empty.
          Another symptom was LED and PLM dead. Unplug it for awhile and power it back up. It would then work for a short time.

There is a very long thread over on the UDI Forums. On the issue and how many of us with soldering skills. Have replaced the capacitors with ones designed for switching power supply use.
          I have seen indications that the latest revision PLM has been updated and hopefully the power supply is improved.
          It is indeed a 2413U, and it's been fairly reliable, if a bit quirky, over the years. But I am tempted to go for a new one. I think there's been a price drop since I last purchased one, I seem to recall paying more than $80. And I have developed a slight palsy in my hands that makes soldering..."adventurous." .

These are the "new" features: New features:

• Built-in Dual-Band with RF function, acts like an Access Point for phase bridging and RF to/from power line Can't recall but I think it did this before?
          • 1,000+ links (compared to around 1,000+ links previously) Well, now, how can I resist an improvement like that?
          • Added a beep sounder Oh, my wife will love that, she can't even stand it when my phone rings. Another beep in her office?
          • Red/Green LED light SOLD!
          • Supports faster reading and writing of the PLM's database by another controller Good, I like faster.
          • Much lighter weight I'm not WEARING it, fer chrissakes...
          • No pass-through outlet This is an improvement? I LIKE pass-through outlets!
          On second thought...I'll wait till mine is a twisted, melted puddle of plastic.

Thanks!
          Jim Speiser
          Payson, Arizona

Comment

Working...
          X