Module keeps blinking red and green when i try to turn it on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Module keeps blinking red and green when i try to turn it on

Just got the starter kit the other day. I plugged in one of the dimmer modules and tried plugging in some LED christmas lights into it. It's the 'raindrop' type lights. Looks pretty much like these: http://www.amazon.com/OMGAI-Falling-.../dp/B00P92K13K

It will not stay on when i turn the module to turn on if those lights are plugged into it. If i unplug the lights and then tell the module to go on, it goes on (steady green light).

Why doesn't it work with the LED lights? They certainly are well below 600w

The small wall wart power supply is probably not designed to be on a dimmer circuit.
    As a test. Using a power tap so both the problem LED string and a small 4 watt incandescent type night light are on the Insteon Module and see if anything changed.

600w is not the only thing you have to take into consideration when using a dimmer. Load designed for a dimmer.
    Dimmable LED bulbs may have a In Rush and Repetitive Current that may need to be considered. I have a 8.5W LED bulb and the manufacturer says. Use a 85W number when adding up their bulbs on a dimmer.

Comment

Using a non-dimmable load on a dimmer may destroy the dimmer, the load or both. If not soon, then it will certainly shorten the life of one, the other or both. The "why" involves the way TRIACs function to dim the load. The waveform is clipped even at 100% on.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Ok most of that was over my head - the short of it is i shouldn't use non-dimmable lights on a dimmable module? Would these LED's work on the on/off module then?

Right now i actually don't have a use for the two dimmable modules that came with the kit. I didn't pay close enough attention when i ordered it and thought it was 2 dimmable wall switches. I was just plugging in the LED lights just to test it out and get the hang of setting things up. But I would like to confirm it's working at least. I'll look for a dimmable lamp to plug into it.

Comment

The On Off module should control them just fine.
          A lamp with a incandescent bulb. Would be a good load to test with.
          Loads like LED and CFL bulbs should also not be used on a module that can dim. Some LED and CFLs are rated to be dimmed but some combinations. Can result in unwanted things. Like pulsing. So testing the exact combination of load and Insteon Module maybe needed.
          Last edited by BLH; 12-04-2015, 04:31 AM. Reason: Add information

Comment

Working...
          X