Use of remote with a hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use of remote with a hub

I am new to Insteon and was planning to use it to automate a new house. I recently bought the mini remote in order to swith scenes created on the hub on and off. I was surprised to find the hub and remote are not compatable and if I want to use the remote I need to recreate each scene for each control device. That is easy for a couple of devices but a big task for a whole house.

I can obviously operate the scenes from a smart phone but I find these take time for the Insteon app to load so a far from quick - maybe 30 seconds to load. The remote switch seems the obvious solution if only it could be added to existing scenes set--up on the hub.

Is there any chance this can be considered for future releases....?

Originally posted by Phild View Post
    I am new to Insteon and was planning to use it to automate a new house. I recently bought the mini remote in order to swith scenes created on the hub on and off. I was surprised to find the hub and remote are not compatable and if I want to use the remote I need to recreate each scene for each control device. That is easy for a couple of devices but a big task for a whole house.

I can obviously operate the scenes from a smart phone but I find these take time for the Insteon app to load so a far from quick - maybe 30 seconds to load. The remote switch seems the obvious solution if only it could be added to existing scenes set--up on the hub.

Is there any chance this can be considered for future releases....?

You should report this via the App for the smartphone. Followed up with an e-mail to tech support so they can track this issue and have the Dev's / Engineers update the HUB.

If you just recently purchased the HUB II and its with in the 30 day window return it back to SH. The latest HUB Pro is coming out and I am hoping some of these silly omissions will be supported from the on set.
    Teken . . .

Comment

How is it at all possible that Insteon released a new version of the hub and can't be bothered to support it's OWN mini remotes? that is incredibly hard to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Ccoveney View Post
        How is it at all possible that Insteon released a new version of the hub and can't be bothered to support it's OWN mini remotes? that is incredibly hard to understand.

I am not even going to try to explain it.

Because every day when I read replies from people having the same question about other Insteon devices, or features not supported.

I just shake my head in disbelief . . .
        Teken . . .

Comment

There are also device features that the ISY does not support.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

True the ISY also does not have all the features available for some modules.
            Smartlabs keeps changing features and trying to support all the different configurations gets to be overwhelming. Also the features that change are a big surprise as they are never given advanced notice of changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ccoveney View Post
              You are lucky - I just realised my new hub (I am in Australia) is the old model with Hub II and other developments seemingly not available here.

A slight worry that Insteon isn't upgrading its international products at the same rate as US products. I recognise they often need certifying but it should be part of the product release cycle and communicated.

Comment

Which Hub did you order? Who did you order from?
                Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

The Smarthome sales site. Shows the older HUB 2242-422 for the International HUB being offered.

Comment

I see Insteon has now released an update to link the remote via the hub after setting it up on a smartphone. It works perfectly and is a great addition. Thank you to the team at Insteon for adding this feature - much appreciated.

Comment

• jerrod
                      jerrod commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Originally posted by Phild View Post
                      I see Insteon has now released an update to link the remote via the hub after setting it up on a smartphone. It works perfectly and is a great addition. Thank you to the team at Insteon for adding this feature - much appreciated.

This is only true for iOS, support has NOT yet been added for Android (the OS with the highest market share). It's nearly 2017 still nada.

I currently use the Insteon Hub 2242-222, however I have purchased a 2245-222 that I hope to migrate to (but it still lacks key features)
                      Samsung Galaxy S6 Active SM-G890A - Android 6.0.1
                      Android Insteon App - 1.9.4 (223)
                      Netgear Router R6400
                      9 Insteon devices installed (and more I haven't installed yet)
                      Last edited by jerrod; 11-30-2016, 06:58 PM. Reason: added signature with requested info

I don't understand the statement that the remote is not supported, yes the android app requires that you understand how to program the remote as opposed to actually prompting you correctly like the IOS app does, but I have both 2242-222 and 2245-222 hubs at 2 different locations and can program the mini remotes at either location.

The issue with the android app is that it just says to push the set button. The actual procedure is to push the button that you want to program on the remote prior to pushing the set button as the app indicates. The other shortcoming of the android app is that it doesn't actually set the device being programmed to the appropriate level/on/off etc for the button being programmed on the mini remote so if the button has any prior programming for the device(s) that you are trying to add/remove from the scene, then pushing the button to select the appropriate button on the mini remote may set the device that you are attempting to add/remove to an incorrect on/off state. In general you can get the mini remotes programmed from the android app, but it does require a bit more understanding of how to manually program these devices.

Comment

• stusviews
                      stusviews commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Remote buttons don't have an On-level, they're either on or off. The responder device, if it's a dimmer, has an On-level (and ramp rate) that can be set.
                  Working...
                  X