"Unknown" on hub app when connceting to miniremote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Unknown" on hub app when connceting to miniremote

I got a hub to control an on/off module remotely and works great! now i also have a mini remote Insteon 8 channels remote control that i use to control two lights and a ceiling fan and i was hoping to get the hub app talk to the mini remote so i can operate these devices via iPhone. I was able to link the mini remote and i can see it in the app but shows up as unknown and nothing happens. I tried to unlink and link it again but nothing. Any ideas?

This sounds like proper behavior. Since the remote is battery powered it only only activates when a button is pushed on it or when it is in link/unlink mode. This means that the Hub would not be able to get status which is why you get the yellow light.

You should be able to use the Hub app to create links between the mini remote and other Insteon devices, however, you would not generally control the remote through the app. In the app you want to control the device itself, or a scene if if are looking to control multiple devices.

Comment

I see. So that i understand this....if i wanted to see an image of my miniremote on the iphone screen (as I thought i would via hub app) and click on any button of the miniremote image on the screen to operate a device....you are telling me this is not an option, agree? So what's the purpose to link the hub to the miniremote if it is a dead end? you say "You should be able to use the Hub app to create links between the mini remote and other Insteon devices" how do i do this?

Comment

To keep it simple, imagine you have 2 remotes for your tv. 1 is the one that comes with it and the other is a fancy universal remote. Would you control your tv with the universal remote by having it tell you other remote to turn the TV on and off?

​​​​The same applies ​​to the hub and the miniremote. Both are controllers. There is no point in having 1 controller to control another controller to simply tell a set of devices to turn on and off. The miniremote doesn't keep status per se so there is no point in activating it to keep something in sync. If it did, you have to recharge it constantly making the experience with it aggravating to say the least.

The hub is able to be used to link devices together instead of having to manually link them. Makes thing much easier than running around the house to different devices pressing and holding buttons. This makes this such as setting ramp rates and dim levels much faster and easier. This is why the remote can be added.
        Last edited by lilyoyo1; 03-31-2020, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by adebiase View Post
          I see. So that i understand this....if i wanted to see an image of my miniremote on the iphone screen (as I thought i would via hub app) and click on any button of the miniremote image on the screen to operate a device....you are telling me this is not an option, agree? So what's the purpose to link the hub to the miniremote if it is a dead end? you say "You should be able to use the Hub app to create links between the mini remote and other Insteon devices" how do i do this?
          From what I heard the mini remote was added to the Hub to help users out with the linking process on the remotes. As lilyoyo pointed out they are both inherently controllers.

General Steps:
          In your hub app you want to go to scenes and then create a new scene. You will see a list of the added devices to that hub. When you tap on the mini remote it will show you the button options. From there you pick what button you are assigning things to and then add the other Insteon devices that you want that button to control. It should flow like other scenes if you have had the chance to create some. After you have made all your selections the Hub will prompt you to put the remote into linking mode and from there the Hub will handle the links that you set up in the scene.

Comment

Here is my opinion (and a question)....

I'm a 42 y/o IT nerd and have been an Insteon user for many years. Throughout the years, I've enjoyed learning how to program different devices and seeing how they interact, but the process is far from straightforward and requires a lot of technical knowledge of the end user.

The end-user should never have to think about controllers, responders, or hubs. If you want the general public to adopt Insteon technology (like they have with Alexa, etc) you have to make it stupid simple! The average consumer does not care which device sends the signal, nor should Insteon try to educate them. For Insteon to achieve widespread adoption, they need to radically change this approach. The consumer needs this to be as easy as, well, flipping a switch. If it isn’t that simple, your only market will be those with enough technical knowledge to make it work effectively. Furthermore, those who buy Insteon products and don't have the technical abilities to make the system work really well, will be underwhelmed and less likely to purchase more Insteon products.

From a usability standpoint, if someone adds a mini-remote to their phone app, it should look and function like the mini-remote they hold in their hand. Same goes for any switch or keypad. The process of adding it should automatically create the scenes/links necessary to emulate the mini-remote setup. Is there a technical reason the hub/app couldn’t record all linked controllers/responders within the mini-remote upon setup to then create the needed scenes/links automatically within the app?

Comment

• Jeffersin
              Jeffersin commented
              Editing a comment
              To clarify a little... I'm not suggesting removing anything. I think the app development has been AWESOME and it is obvious Insteon is trying hard to improve their offerings. I completely understand that controllers, responders, & hubs can't go away... IMHO, the next huge opportunity for Insteon would be to automate the 'behind-the-scenes' aspects required for the system to function so that people never have to know how controllers/responders/hub interact. As a developer, I understand this is not a simple task, but I also know that it can be done if you have enough resources and a plan forward. I've always been a fan of a simplistic UI by default that allows advanced users to add additional controls/options. This type of approach is harder to develop on the front end, but it satisfies both beginner and advanced users of your product.
          Working...
          X