No announcement yet.

Scene membership settings for garage door control with keypad and insteon hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I've created two scenes. The one with the keypad button as the controller seems to work: It opens and closes the door on alternate presses.

But the scene to make the keypad button LED respond to the IOLinc sensor state doesn't seem to do anything. The LED stays off all the time (other than the blink when it is pressed). Here is how my scene is configured:

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Yes, the app icon shows the correct status for the door, when opened and closed.

Comment

Yes, red and white. Here are the IOLink settings.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

If you want to use the Hub application for this you will need to create two separate scenes for this to work as Insteon intended.

The first scene you will select the IO Linc and a button on the Keypad that you want to use as the control for your garage door. Label this as Garage Door
          IO link will be a responder
          Keypad Button will be a controller
          (This scene links the keypad button to the relay of the IO link to control the garage door)

The second scene you will select the IO Linc again and a separate button on the keypad that will display the sensor status of the garage door. Label this as Garage Status
          IO link will be a controller
          Keypad button will be a responder.
          (This scene links the sensor status of the IO Linc to the keypad button)

The purpose of this is redundancy and safety. You can link the sensor and relay to the same keypad button but if one stops responding correctly for any reason you can have some major issues. This method isolates the relay from the sensor so you can be sure that the door is either closed or open with a quick visual check of the keypad. Both button lit up or off indicates proper status. A mismatch would be a cause to investigate.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanM View Post
            If you want to use the Hub application for this you will need to create two separate scenes for this to work as Insteon intended.

The first scene you will select the IO Linc and a button on the Keypad that you want to use as the control for your garage door. Label this as Garage Door
            IO link will be a responder
            Keypad Button will be a controller
            (This scene links the keypad button to the relay of the IO link to control the garage door)

The second scene you will select the IO Linc again and a separate button on the keypad that will display the sensor status of the garage door. Label this as Garage Status
            IO link will be a controller
            Keypad button will be a responder.
            (This scene links the sensor status of the IO Linc to the keypad button)

The purpose of this is redundancy and safety. You can link the sensor and relay to the same keypad button but if one stops responding correctly for any reason you can have some major issues. This method isolates the relay from the sensor so you can be sure that the door is either closed or open with a quick visual check of the keypad. Both button lit up or off indicates proper status. A mismatch would be a cause to investigate.

I understand the need for two scenes, and have followed the advice given by others on this thread to set things up that way (on a single keypad button). But the button just doesn't seem to show the door sensor's status (button LED is always off, regardless of the door status). I know the sensor itself is working, as the Insteon hub app shows the expected status: red when open, clear when closed.

Your suggestion to use two separate buttons is different from everything I've seen to date, including various videos that show just a single keypad button serving both to operate the door, and as an indicator. What "major issues" will using the same button cause?

Comment

I've tried connecting the status scene to a separate keypad button. Still nothing. It just doesn't light up when the door is open. I'm was starting to wonder if this keypad itself is somehow the culprit, so I tried it with another keypad in the house. It won't light up there either.

This is all so frustrating!

Comment

Is there any way to close my garage door automatically at a set time using the garage door kit and the hub

Comment

Not directly with the hub it's not possible. Stringify may allow it to work but never tried it to know for certain.

Comment

Slightly off topic here but I'm trying to create a simple scene which closes the garage door. Is there a way to do this? If the scene is ran while the garage door is already closed, I don't want it to open.

Comment

Apparently, for no reason, by Insteon Garage Door opener kit has started to shut off power to the original opener wall switch. This is not a fancy wall switch, just push the button to open/close.
                      This happens if I use the Insteon app on my iPhone to open or close the door. After it competes the task, the I/O module has a bright LED light that when on, kills power to the wall switch. If I choose the Garage Door scene (I use a scene to open and close door) and select "off", the bright light on the I/O module goes to very dim and I have power to my wall switch.

Comment

Originally posted by steve62 View Post
                        Is there any way to close my garage door automatically at a set time using the garage door kit and the hub
                        It can be done with a Stringify flow. I have one created to close the door if and only if its open at 10:30 pm. HOWEVER, I'm having issues with the correct status being communicated to Stringify which results in the door opening at 10:30.

Comment

Working...
                        X