IOLinc, Fireplace, existing switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IOLinc, Fireplace, existing switch

I'm looking to automate a Heatilator Novus fireplace, with automatic ignition.

This unit runs on 3VDC, and has an existing wall switch which turns it on & off.

My plan is to add an IO Linc, connect NO and Common to the fireplace.

My question is how to connect the existing switch? I'd like it to keep working. Would I put it to 5V & Sensor? Sensor & Common? Would closing this switch cause NO to close? And still be available for inclusion in scenes?

Thanks,

Using the NO and Common is correct. There is no need to use the 5VDC available from the I/O Linc. In fact, that shouldn't be used at all.

There are two ways to use the I/O Linc with the existing switch and on way without.

Series wiring: both the I/O Linc and the existing switch must be ON to turn the fireplace on. Turning either one OFF will turn the fireplace off. If the existing switch is left on, then the I/O Linc has exclusive control.

Parallel wiring: both the I/O Linc and the existing switch must be OFF to turn the fireplace off. Turning either one ON will turn the fireplace on. If the existing switch is left off, then the I/O Linc has exclusive control.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Is there no way to use the dumb wall switch as the input to the relay? Could it be a "sensor" ?

Comment

Yes it can. that would allow you to use the dumb wall switch to turn the fireplace on or off as you do now without the I/O Linc. If the dumb wall switch is off, then you can use the I/O Linc to control the fireplace. But, it the dumb wall switch is on, then you cannot turn off the fireplace with the I/O Linc.

It's the equivalent of wiring the devices in parallel. The best solution is to not use the dumb wall switch at all.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I have about this same setup. Wiring the original switch to the sensor IS better than parallel. Should be switch = s, gnd then when set the io linc to respond to the sensor. Hook the fireplace to the NO Common like you metioned above.

In my case I have a thermostat/switch to the sensor so if it gets too cold it will turn on the fireplace. You can then turn off the fireplace by sending an "OFF" command to the IO link. The sensor will not hold the relay on, it just sends an on/off command when the state of the sensor triggers.

This allows you to send on/off commands with either the switch or the insteon controller. Unfortunately it can leave the switch in the "ON" state with the fireplace off, but if you want to turn the fireplace on from the switch. Just switch it off then back on.

Comment

I know this is a really old thread and you probably have a solution already in place. But you need to know about the infamous "ALL ON" event. It's happened to me twice now in 2 years. It is where all or most of your Insteon devices turn on due to some combination of events taking place in your system. In my case all my doors unlocked, the garage door opened, all the ceiling fans came on, the driveway alert went off, and worst of all my 2 gas log fireplaces came on (controlled by IOLincs like you).

What I need to do is to trigger an email to myself whenever the fireplace comes on so if it happens while we're away I can turn it back off. The last time this happened my wife was sitting by the fireplace, and can you imagine how high she jumped?

In my opinion the reliability of this system prevents it from being used for anything but the simplest of controls. Certainly nothing critical.

Comment

I wouldnt use ANY automation control for anything dangerous like a fireplace. While I've never personally had an all on event, there are way to many things that could go wrong with any system to have it control anything potentially dangerous.

Comment

A thermostat is an automation control, so is any GDO. The only automation protocol that seem to experience the ALL ON phenomenon is Insteon with an ISY.

Comment

Working...
                X